Author Topic: Rohm Drill Chucks  (Read 8701 times)

Offline Aestus57

• Caithness, Scotland
Rohm Drill Chucks
« on: July 22, 2011, 01:21:37 PM »
Hi Folks,

A well known Model Engineering tool supplier in the SW of England has "Precision" Rohm Drill Chucks on 1 & 2MT shanks advertised at £8 to £10 !!

Has anyone tried one? Are they any good?

Or is it again the case that "you get what you pay for"!!  Have to admit I'm tempted, and its not too much of a loss at that price.

:nrocks:
Think I'm suffering De Ja Vu and Amnesia at the same time, I'm sure I've forgotten this before!

Offline arnoldb

• Windhoek, Namibia
Re: Rohm Drill Chucks
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 01:52:12 PM »
I have 2 Rohm 1-16mm dill chucks; one with an MT2 shank that I have used on my lathe for the last 2+ years, and one I bought 2 months ago together with an MT4 shank to use on my mill.

Must say, I'm pretty happy with them - they are well made (German), plenty accurate enough for my use and smooth to operate :thumbup:

In fact, my shopping list has an entry for a 1-12mm with MT0 shank for my small lathe.  I can fortunately buy one locally for about the same as the price you quoted plus the postage I'd have to pay, as a local engineering company imports Rohm products straight from Germany in fairly large numbers.

:beer:, Arnold

Offline Dean W

• My kingdom for a lathe!
    • Projects web pages
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 07:08:07 PM »
What Arnold says.  Rohm makes good stuff.  At least their German products are good.  I have a couple
of their drill chucks and they are definitely well made.
Dean W.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Praise the Lord and pass the Carbide!

Offline udimet

• Dean Smith and Grace the worlds finest.
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 02:11:35 AM »
Rohm make very good chucks whether it be drill chucks or Lathe chucks. far better than anything coming out of China/India.  I have a few Rohm's that I have had for quite a few years and are still good to this day
the Rohm supra chuck for instance is a great chuck [not quite the gripping power or the accuracy of an Albrecht] but very good, and you won't get an Albrecht for the price of a Rohm. so grab the Rohm while you can.
                                                                                                     Regards,
                                                                                            Udimet.

Offline Aestus57

• Caithness, Scotland
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 07:54:59 AM »
Many thanks,

I think I'll give one a go.

:thumbup:
Think I'm suffering De Ja Vu and Amnesia at the same time, I'm sure I've forgotten this before!

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 10:37:45 AM »
I have three Rohm drill-chucks.  The 0-.19 inch one was very carefully mounted on a precision R8 shank using a 4-disk center, a 3/16 inch gage pin, and a .00005 resolution dial indicator.  After nearly 30 years in (light) service, it still has (gage pin) runout of less than .0001 inch (my spindle has .0007 runout).  I did not go to such extremes when mounting my 0-.40 inch or .06-.65 inch Rohm drill-chucks.  The smaller one checks out to (about) .0005 (gage pin) runout and the larger one varies a couple of "tenths" in the .0012 (gage pin) runout.  Set in a v-block on my surface plate, all my Rohm chucks grip a gage pin to less than .0005 longitudinal run-out.

I like them.

Offline picclock

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 01:35:45 PM »
@ Aestus57

Thanks for the PM. I seem to have trouble with these in that I send it and it doesn't appear in my outbox so I'm not sure if it gets sent .. .

They are quite good value, although the price does not include VAT or carriage. I ordered a set of three as I'm still working with a set of no name chucks I bought for £8 from Proops. I have bought other budget chucks but the cheapy ones have lower runout, so I figure I'm well overdue for a (hopefully) decent set. I will post the runout figures I get here if anyone's interested.

Best Regards

picclock
Engaged in the art of turning large pieces of useful material into ever smaller pieces of (s)crap. (Ferndown, Dorset)

Offline Jasonb

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 01:50:35 PM »
It would be interesting to know what model the chucks are, Rohm make chucks in this size from £10 to £100+ cost must affect quality.

J

Offline Miner

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 12:56:42 AM »
I own one that I paid about $50 for. It seems quite useable and fairly well made, I'd buy another. Personally it's been my experience that any tool holding accessorie should not be the very cheapest you can find. I once owned one drill chuck that would spin drill shanks within the chuck no matter how tight you twisted the chuck key. I finally got fed up with it and took it to work. It's now buried under a few million tons of rock.  :) The replacement Albrecht sure hurt to buy but I've never had a problem with it.

Pete

Offline picclock

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 03:38:09 AM »
I bought the three sizes from Tracy tools and did some measurements. These chucks use an adapter with a 1/2" screw in thread without a taper. I hacked off the tangs with my disc cutter and ground the ends flat. One adapter I drilled and tapped 10mm for my mill.

The measurement results on my mill are not great. The test bar was 8mm to cover all the sizes, 1/2", 10mm, and 5/16ths. The chuck body lengths excluding jaws are 57,50 and 50mm.

Measured the runout at the protruding end of the MT2 adapter at 0.2 thou (my mill runout). The chuck mounting face on the MT2 arbor showed a runout of 0.15 thou.

The runout next to the chuck body measured 7,4, and 1.2 thou respectively. At 1" this increased to 9.2,6.5 and 8.8 thou. The last measurement is pushing it a bit as at 8mm the test bar size is just over the 5/16ths the chuck is specified for.

Hope this helps anyone considering a purchase.

Best Regards

picclock

(Collet chucks rule)

Engaged in the art of turning large pieces of useful material into ever smaller pieces of (s)crap. (Ferndown, Dorset)

Offline udimet

• Dean Smith and Grace the worlds finest.
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 12:11:21 PM »
picclock,
               If I had known earlier that you were meaning Rohm chucks with threaded mounts then I would have advised you that they are more suited to portable power tools.  you will  discover that most drill chucks designed solely for engineering have taper mounts usually "J" series or Din/ ISO "B"  but having said that you have still got 3 robust chucks that will give long service [in fact, if the same chucks were the aforementioned taper mount style then I would say that they would certainly display better figures than the threaded ones].
                                                                                                                          Regards,
                                                                                                                           Udimet.

Offline picclock

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 02:50:30 PM »
@ udimet

My first mt2 chuck purchase was from Proops - 3 chucks with arbors £8 some years ago. Two of the chucks were Diamond brand and had 1.5 and 1.8 thou runout, amazingly good value. The third one branded triangle was pretty duff, but overall not bad - I replaced that one with a chuck from a show bought from RDG @ £6 - 2.9 thou runout but OK.

Unfortunately you can't tell how good a chuck is until you have bought it. I would say that for the money paid they do not represent good value despite the Rohm name.

Best Regards

picclock

Offline kvom

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 03:10:32 PM »
Chucks with screw arbors will almost certainly have worse runout than those with tapers.