The Breakroom > The Bookshelf

George Daniels - Watchmaking (amazing, for ANY machinist!!)

<< < (4/5) > >>

johnnyboy:
I waited ages to get this book. I have a plain lathe and thought it might have some good info about this area - it did not... I would not really recommend it. I thought it glossed over many very interesting areas with far to little detail. 5 out of 10 for me...

johnbaz:
Hi

I used to repair watches as a hobby, I bought a parts cleaning machine and used to strip them, Cleant the parts and relube as I built them back up!

Had to pack in due to a loss of dexterity in my hands caused by Arthritis  and Carpol tunnel syndrome! (Made it hard to play my guitar too as my fretting hand fingers turned numb and tingly, They felt like fat pork sausages too!)

The machine..

I still replace cells in watches and springbars for friends and family but nothing more delicate or involved!!

I have several books too somewhere!!

By the way, I've collected watches for 42 years and have between 2,500 and 3,000 of them!!  :thumbup:

This is much less than half of them although quite a lot are broken, I used them for donor parts for watches that shared the same movements!! :med:

Cheers, John  :beer:

Manxmodder:
George Daniels lived here on the Isle of Man for many years and had his workshop in the North of the island.

He also had a great passion for vintage cars,and was frequently seen competing in local car racing events driving his blower Bentley.

Roger Smith was George's understudy,and he is now resident here and a seriously gifted watchmaker.

See link: http://www.rwsmithwatches.com/

OZ.

AdeV:

--- Quote from: johnbaz on December 13, 2016, 06:22:31 PM ---
By the way, I've collected watches for 42 years and have between 2,500 and 3,000 of them!!  :thumbup:

--- End quote ---

Hmm, you may be just the man to help me out.....

Many donkey years ago (and even more dog years), sometime in the late 1970s, I acquired one of Dad's old broken digital watches. Rather fantastically, for the time, it was a digital solar powered watch! Unfortunately, the rechargeable battery was shagged, and even if the watch was left under bright light for many hours, it would only work for a short period of time before the cell died. Eventually, I managed to explode the battery trying to recharge it on my train set controller! It made a hell of a bang, as I recall, for such a tiny little thing.... Anyway, some time after that the watch itself was lost, never to be re-found.

So... question, of your thousands of watches, do you have many mid-to-late 1970s solar powered examples? I've been trying to find a picture, because I'm fairly sure I'll recognise it when I see it, but nothing's ringing any bells. I was fairly sure it was a Casio (but I've since found a picture history of every Casio watch ever made, and it's not there), and I'm reasonably sure it had a black face with a stainless steel body & strap. There were 3 small solar cells in a line above the digital readout. I don't recall if it just did time, time/date, or time/date/alarm. I'm moderately sure it didn't have an alarm.  Have you got anything in your collection which might match that description?

MetalMagus:
Chris,
If you like books on making watches then the guy who runs this website and has lots of Youtube videos has an amazing book. Very limited copies and the price reflects that but certainly one on my Xmas list. Which Xmas who knows.

http://www.s1p.de/2016e/f/fe.html

I sat for hours watching all his YouTube vids.

I have the George Daniels book and have to agree it is a really good read and well worth the price.

Sean

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version