The Breakroom > The Bookshelf

George Daniels - Watchmaking (amazing, for ANY machinist!!)

<< < (3/5) > >>

Anzaniste:
Crikey, Amazon £28 now. I had mine on order for ages maybe 9 months and when it arrived a few weeks ago I too was blown away. It is a FANTASTIC book and I didn't begrudge the £40ish it cost me. How can Amazon now be offering it for £28 i'm tempted to buy another and stash it for either a present for a deserving chum or wait til I@ve worn out my expensive copy. ::)

kwackers:
i've had a flick through and my first impressions are if you make 'small' things then it's a good book.

For most model (or larger) engineering though I don't think it's particularly applicable. A lot of the techniques we'd use don't seem to be mentioned and a lot of the methods mentioned are unlikely to be much use.

I think it's a book about making watches but with some relevance for small scale engineers. If you're into watches then it does look like something you should have...

Obviously all imo and based on a superficial flick.

Anzaniste:
Chris, If you like books you will not be disapointed with http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wheel-Pinion-Cutting-Horology-Historical/dp/1861262450/ref=pd_sim_b_3.  A top book.

Deko:
Hi Chris
           As you are a lover of tick toks, ithought you may be interested in a project i have had simmering for the last 31 years !!!. In 1980 i started a business dealing in fibre optics, and recalling an old BBC countdown device, i wonderd if i could make a clock that used fibre optics as a new way of showing the time. I worked out how this could be done,but at the time i had neither the time or the means to do anything about it, i did however tell anyone who would listen all about it.    In the early 90's i built a prototype,then once again the job was put on the back burner.    I finaly got around to making a start on the real thing when i reached retiring age (6 years ago), i had it about half finished, when i read about John Taylors Chronophage !!!! I WAS MAD. The chronophage uses led's to show the time in a similar way, (allthough not as well) as my idea.  Well at that point i lost interest somewhat, and have only recently taken another look at the thing.      NOW, to the point. I thought that, as you do'nt live a million miles away, if in the unlikley event you find yourself at a loss for something to do,you may fancy a trip over to cast a young fresh pair of eyes over the job.  My loveley wife makes an excelent brew, and i am sure you would find the trip very usefull.  If this idea has any appeal, then send me a pm sometime.  I live about 1 mile from Bogs to give you an idea of distance from you  I look forward to hearing from you.
       Cheers  Derek

raynerd:
Hi Derek

PM Sent.   :-D   Sorry, I`ve been on holiday and must have missed this thread!

Chris

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version