Author Topic: now this is for MadModders  (Read 7736 times)

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
now this is for MadModders
« on: July 06, 2011, 12:28:41 AM »
Printer produces personalised 3D chocolate

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14030720

this is one way to keep the other half happy, and maybee get a Little extra (cash) as well  :ddb:

:ddb:  :ddb:  :nrocks: Peter  :nrocks:  :ddb:  :ddb:
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
Re: now this is for MadModders
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 04:15:06 AM »
Peter,

Is this a case of technology getting too far ahead of itself. :bang:

For hundreds of years, chocolate moulds have been used to do exactly that, mould it, stick it on top of whatever. :doh:

The old way is most probably quicker as well.

John
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline bry1975

• http://www.satintime.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 04:42:53 AM »
That machine will see Thorntons go under! 

Offline Andy

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 06:58:11 AM »
I agree with Bogs.

Also, if members of our society have come to the point where they 'need' to have their own or relatives faces captured in chocolate (one example given in the article), then we might as well pack up and shut the shop. Like the last days of the Roman Empire, isn't it?  :loco:
From probably the smallest, dampest and most untidy workshop in Bradford, West Yorks, England, if not the world..

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 07:58:04 AM »
yes but this does not need moulds so it willbe usfull for prototyping, or in shops where you come in and say you want some shaped like er say body parts or with peoples names in or shape of a car or motorbike etc could be fun in fact we could have Bannana man choclates.

peter

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 09:00:06 AM »
Not only does it do away with moulds, but it opens up the possibility to do things that would be impossible with a mould; e.g. intertwining white, milk & dark chocolate.

IMHO, when reading stories like this one, it's important to realise that this isn't the end product, but (potentially) the start of a long line of ever more capable products.... to use a computer analogy, what you are looking at now is the ZX80 of the chocolate printer world...

Also, if members of our society have come to the point where they 'need' to have their own or relatives faces captured in chocolate (one example given in the article), then we might as well pack up and shut the shop. Like the last days of the Roman Empire, isn't it?  :loco:

Andy - I must admit, I thought this the day I first saw an advert for a pubic hair trimmer on national TV. It also frequently crosses my mind when I see adverts for battery-powered air fresheners that look like rocks or vases, and devices for sticking a lump of green goo to the side of your toilet bowl so you don't have to touch the porcelain.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 09:52:55 AM »
Even chocolate frogs :D

DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 12:02:23 PM »
I will admit that I was attempting to do a bit of humour with Peter, and I do understand that it could lead to bigger and better things (well I hope it does).

I also agree with other things that people have raised, Ade and his green goo.

I draw the line at the Dettol advert about an automatic dispenser for hand cleaning soap, so that you don't have to touch the dirty germ infested dispenser.

WHY ARE YOU WASHING YOUR HANDS IN THE FIRST PLACE? - BECAUSE THEY ARE DIRTY AND GERM INFESTED AND IT DOESN'T MATTER ONE IOTA IF THE DISPENSER WAS KNEE DEEP IN S**T, BECAUSE YOU ARE THERE TO WASH YOUR HANDS, IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU TOUCH IT OR NOT.  :bang: :bang: :bang

Unless of course Dettol know better, and by touching their dispenser, you will be infected with germs that their soap can't kill. :doh:

John

Skype - bandit175

Offline DavidA

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 01:13:05 PM »
Which raises the thorny problem of the bog brush.

Do you use the brush after you've done the neccessary and before you wash your hands;  there by risking transfer to the brush handle of any smelly brown stuff that found it's way trhough today's unreliably thin paper.
Or do you wash your hands first,  then use the brush.  But what if the last person didn't, and they had a paper failure ?

Or do you wash them both before and after the operation ?

Dave.

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 01:46:33 PM »

...Dettol...

Ooh, don't get me started on Dettol....

Too late!

"KILLS 99.9% OF ALL KNOWN GERMS!" - thus leaving the most virulent 0.1% to multiply, and multiply...... eventually, all germs will be dettol-resistant; all because you used Dettol instead of bleach! Bleach would have killed the damn lot!

And even then, do you _really_ want to kill all those germs? For some - e.g. those with weakened immune systems - yes, is the answer (= use bleach!); for most of the rest of us, hell no! IMHO living in sterile boxes is what has caused the massive rise in allergies (well, that and good marketing). Touch wood, I've never had anything more serious than a couple of mild bouts of food poisoning (messy, but ultimately not that bad), a few colds, er and that's it. I've only been laid up in bed once in my adult life with an sickness, and that was eating some dodgy sandwich spread which must have been bad; and I only clean the house when I can't see the floor any more, or if I'm expecting visitors...
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 02:14:30 PM »
A bit off topic here now lads. :offtopic:

But to keep it on track, maybe Pete's chocolate sprayer could be used, after re-programming, to clean up after us all so that we can live in a sterile environment, where if the one percent bug gets inside, and we catch it and of course die, it can then spray us so that we too disappear.

Just imagine it, from a lowly chocolate name maker, to a world with nothing in it but modified chocolate sprayers.

Now THAT is being silly :lol:

Skype - bandit175

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 04:49:02 PM »
Which raises the thorny problem of the bog brush.

Dave.

We gave up on using the bog brush Dave and have gone back to using pages from the catalogues.. :lol:
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 04:58:59 PM »
.......Just imagine it, from a lowly chocolate name maker, to a world with nothing in it but modified chocolate sprayers. .......

Golly - staying OT - that brings back echoes of what I first heard as a BBC Radio series in the 1970s - Douglas Adams' "Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy".  IIRC, Arthur Dent encountered a world populated solely with hairdressers, telephone sanitisers and estate agents..... and the world that the telephone sanitisers had all been deported from had all its population wiped out by a bug fom one single telephone which a lazy sanitiser had missed.....

Dave

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 07:48:57 PM »

Golly - staying OT - that brings back echoes of what I first heard as a BBC Radio series in the 1970s - Douglas Adams' "Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy".  IIRC, Arthur Dent encountered a world populated solely with hairdressers, telephone sanitisers and estate agents..... and the world that the telephone sanitisers had all been deported from had all its population wiped out by a bug fom one single telephone which a lazy sanitiser had missed.....

In the best traditions of OT threads - it's time to take this one even deeper OT....

I read that part of HHGTTG differently: I figured the bug evolved/grew on a dirty telephone & wiped out the entire planet; thus whilst "telephone sanitiser" was seen as a useless occupation, it turned out to be not so useless after all...

But, at any rate, I suspect the part you're actually thinking of is from a later book (Restaurant, IIRC), where on a desolate planet who's name I now forget, it turns out that an ever growing number of shoe-shops turning out ever crappier shoes eventually passed the "shoe event horizon", society collapsed & the planet was abandoned.
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 08:17:22 PM »
well that was a total waist of my time. thanks boggs

Peter

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 11:14:26 PM »
Well... back on topic, I think it is kinda neat. It is a great thing for one offs.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.