Author Topic: My take on the tangential tool holder.  (Read 4578 times)

Offline websterz

My take on the tangential tool holder.
« on: June 30, 2011, 01:30:00 AM »
I have been meaning to make one of these for quite some time now. My earlier attempts were less than stellar performers and I knew I could do better. Here it is sitting atop my homemade QCTP. THe holder is made from 7075 T6 aluminum, the bit is a piece of Rex AAA 5/16" square held in place with an 8-32 BHCS and washer.

Here is a view of the dovetail which I cut too deep. Not wanting to hurl another piece of aluminum across the shop I decided to try and patch the screw-up. I drilled and tapped the inside face of the dovetail 1/4-20 and countersunk it to accept a stainless steel screw. The hole is drilled and tapped thru the holder to allow a 1/4-20 set screw to lock the stainless screw in place. A couple of adjustments and I have the holder locking up nicely. The screw head is large enough to give good contact on the piston and can be adjusted further for wear if the need ever arises. One of those seat-of-the-pants repairs that just happened to work.   :dremel:

As for the cutter, I was able to take .200" cuts in aluminum and .100" in annealed 4140 steel with no chatter and got good finishes on both taking cuts as small as .001". It turns and faces without adjusting the tool angle and makes beautiful square shoulders.
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
Re: My take on the tangential tool holder.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 12:14:24 PM »
Webeterz,

Looks good and like you say works well. :clap:

I have one I also like the way it works. :thumbup:

Have you made yourself a little grinding jig, well worth it, a quick grind and you are away again. :D

You now have a very nice and usefull tool  :thumbup:

:beer:

DaveH

(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline websterz

Re: My take on the tangential tool holder.
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 01:37:54 PM »
I completed the tool at about midnight last night and called it quits for the day. I will be making a jig next time out. I am probably going to make it out of steel with a clamp for the bit, so I can make/sharpen bits on my surface grinder. I like having 2 or 3 of everything in reserve...just in case.
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med: