Author Topic: PeterE's Pillar Tools  (Read 7767 times)

Offline PeterE

• Gothenburg
PeterE's Pillar Tools
« on: June 25, 2011, 10:57:45 AM »
Yes, it is pillar tools in plural.

I started out by doing this simple one from a cheap drill press stand:

It worked quite well but was only for tapping and I wanted a bit more versatility. I began to make a pillar tool more closely to the GHT drawings. But at the time I only had the micro lathe and the small bench drillpress so the build was to be a joint machine-hand work task. The arms were sawn out of a piece of 38x75 steel and the larger holes were drilled using a large countersink that was ground for through drilling. The foot is 70 mm diameter which is about as large as can be pressed into a Unimat size lathe  :D

A lot of filing later the tool looked like this:

Some of the accessories are already made and a letter stamping holder is on the list - any day now ....

BR

/Peter
Always at the edge of my abilities, too often beyond ;-)

Rob.Wilson

Re: PeterE's Pillar Tools
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 01:50:51 PM »
Nice bit of MODDING Pete  :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :dremel:

Rob

Offline PeterE

• Gothenburg
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 04:43:38 PM »
Thanks Rob!

Btw, the table is a former Black&Decker power drill faceplate now serving well for tapping.

BR

/Peter

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 04:49:32 PM »
Would have needed something like that today. I was making some T-nut and had to make M12 thread. I'm only equipped to make manual threading....the tap refused to start straight and finally I check the bugger with a magnifier. One tooth was chipped. Had a go with a spare tap and that started every thread fine.

How big threads you can do with that one? Or how small?

Pekka

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 06:11:31 PM »
Thanks Rob!

Btw, the table is a former Black&Decker power drill faceplate now serving well for tapping.

BR

/Peter

:med:  good use for  an old bit of kit  :dremel: 

Rob

Offline PeterE

• Gothenburg
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 05:22:24 AM »
How big threads you can do with that one? Or how small?

Pekka
The chuck is a normal up-to-10-mm-chuck and it can therefore easily handle any tap put into it, although I tend to use it for taps between 3 and 8 mm. and those are not any problem at all.

When it comes to 10 and 12 mm taps I normally just start the tap using the tool and then change to a larger handle as the tapping stand handle is only about 10 cm across and for 10 and 12 mm taps it is very useful with a bit more leverage.

For taps below 3 mm I have made smaller chuck which also is lighter to avoid breaking taps just by dropping the tool onto the workpiece. The small tap tool looks as shown below.

Of course I did one other thing - a work light attachment from an old wall "spot light" from IKEA together with some bushes and voilá a useful lighting source. The pillar tool is mounted on the fitting/measuring/marking out table.

All in all, the pillar tool is just as versatile as stated in GHT's books and it works a real treat!

BR

/Peter
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 06:45:43 AM by PeterE »