Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Coke Bottle Steam Engine

<< < (2/8) > >>

Bernd:

--- Quote from: Baldrocker on December 26, 2008, 07:56:04 PM ---
--- Quote ---castings into a finished product
--- End quote ---
Please keep the posts coming. I need to see how this is done.
BR

--- End quote ---

BR,

You need to see how it's done and I need to learn how to do it so I can show. Boy am I in trouble. :D

I'll keep it going for as long as it takes.

Bernd

Bernd:

--- Quote from: rleete on December 26, 2008, 08:25:46 PM ---
Killing time instead of working?   :poke:

--- End quote ---

Man, caught red handed.  :D

--- Quote ---Bernd, the name is rleete (last E is silent).  As in Roger.  Divided he ad spells it with a d in the middle, but those Brits are always sneaking in extra letters.  They must like to type.

--- End quote ---

I think that could be because he stays out in the pubs until late at night. Plus looking at the keyboard the "d" is to the right and below the "e". I just think his problem could be fat finger syndrome too. :)

--- Quote ---I have to say that the advice given on machining the base is what I expected, but I'm scared to start.  I've messed up enough parts from stock, and getting another casting could be expensive.

--- End quote ---

I think that was very good advice given by Stew. I'm going to use that method when I get to it. I first want to get a bit more maching on castings before I try the frame. I'm going to do the cylinder before I do the frame since it will require the same method as doing the frame. That will give me a bit more experince under my belt, so to speak.

Bernd

Brass_Machine:

--- Quote from: bogstandard on December 26, 2008, 04:40:45 PM ---Bernd,

--- Quote ---I know this type of project probably doesn't fit the scheme of this site
--- End quote ---

Can you explain please. C'os if it doesn't fit, what am I doing here?

Bogs

--- End quote ---

Bad joke on his part!

It fits. It definitely fits.

bogstandard:
Don't worry Bernd and Eric,

A bit of bad humour on my side as well, as they say, sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

Rleete (oh how I hate these weird pseudonyms, it ain't natural). But anyway, back to the project.

You are quite right in practicing a bit on other parts, in fact it might pay you to put a file or grinder to the base, to get rid of any hard cast iron skin first, as it is definitely a softly softly approach required on that bit of machining, and you don't want to be doing any heavy crunchy cutting when getting that first datum. Bernd is OK, as his casting, being of cast bronze, should machine rather easily.
You should be OK on all other bits as they will be held rigid, it is just this first datum bit that you have to be careful of, as it is slightly unstable.
But if you take it steady, there is no need to be scared of it, I am sure it will be a massive anti climax when it skims off perfectly first time, and you will have an ear to ear grin, punching the air in victory. Don't worry, I do that, and the dog and cat think I have gone loopy. Thank goodness no one else can see it.

John

rleete:

--- Quote from: bogstandard on December 27, 2008, 03:36:43 AM ---Rleete (oh how I hate these weird pseudonyms, it ain't natural).
--- End quote ---

But, but, but...  It's my name!

Being a bit of a forum **** (you should see my bookmarks), I got tired of trying to remember a dozen different names.  So, It is a contraction of Roger Leete.  BTW, Leete is a fairly common Dutch last name, but my heritage is English; grandma was a Whistler, her uncle was the painter.  It used to be R_Leete on another forum, and people complained it was too weird to type, so this is somewhat simplified.  Rog or Roger, or "hey you" are all acceptable.   :wave:

If you do a Google search on rleete, you will find hundreds of hits, mostly from forum posting.  Oh, and a bunch from my old defunct website; the Tiger tank project gathered worldwide attention.  I also moderate a political "discussion" forum (you ain't seen flame wars like that), and I'm on several car forums, game forums, machining and welding forums, etc.  There are at least a dozen I frequent, more that I hit occasionally.

Anyway, back on topic.  I took the belt/disc sander to the bottom, held in a crappy vise I had machined square at work.  I used the main bearing bosses as the rough datum, and just took enough off to remove the casting line on the bottom.  It isn't done, but in now sits reasonably straight/vertical.  Still needs to be skimmed off, and there's about .04" gap on each side.  Ought to be enough to get it good and square.  Both the rounded sides have been ground with the  :dremel: , and cleaned up nicely.  Off to the in-laws for a second Christmas, so no more machining today.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version