Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Coke Bottle Steam Engine

(1/8) > >>

Bernd:
For you readers who aren't familiar with steam engines were probably wondering what a "coke bottle" engine is? These were small engines used in machine shops back in the late 1800's to early 1900's to power things like pumps and small equipment around the shop. The following is a picture of the finished model which is built from a kit that contains castings. The kit comes from P.M. Research Inc. Wellsville, NY. Their web site is www.pmresearchinc.com.

If you have been following the thread in the "How Do I??" section of the forum you know that "releete" and I both have castings for a coke bottle engine. I started mine about 5 years ago the result of those 5 years is in this pic.

The two fly wheels, the smaller one being where the belt would be attached to, and the steam chest cover. Not much progress in 5 years, right? Right. What is going to drive this build is that "releete" and I are going to  :poke: each other to get this engine done since it seems like both of us can't seem to finish a project without starting another. We are going to attempt to help each other with solving the problems of building an engine from a casting. You are welcome to make comments or suggestions on how to solve some of the problems we may run into. Please do not be offended if your suggestion is not used.

It has been suggested to start with the more complicated part, the frame. Since I've already started doing the less complicated parts first, I'm going to stick with finishing them first. The fly wheels by the way are semi-finished. The bore still needs to be enlarged to finished size and the set screw holes added. I'll do that some were along the line of the simpler pieces.

Here's a pic of a few rough castings that still need to be machined. The main base, both covers for the cylinders and the valve. The steam chest cover has already been finished.

I've picked the valve as the next casting to machine. I will take pics of the procedure and post it when I start.

Now, progress could be slow at times so be patient. I'm sure I will be  :poke:  by you guys to keep me on the straight and narrow.

This will be in tune with Mad Modder as I consider this as seeing how one guy modifies raw stock and rough castings into a finished product. :dremel:  :clap:

Until next time,
Bernd

bogstandard:
Bernd,

--- Quote ---I know this type of project probably doesn't fit the scheme of this site
--- End quote ---

Can you explain please. C'os if it doesn't fit, what am I doing here?

Bogs

Baldrocker:

--- Quote ---castings into a finished product
--- End quote ---
Please keep the posts coming. I need to see how this is done.
BR

rleete:

--- Quote from: bogstandard on December 26, 2008, 04:40:45 PM ---Bernd,

--- Quote ---I know this type of project probably doesn't fit the scheme of this site
--- End quote ---

Bogs

--- End quote ---

Killing time instead of working?   :poke:

Bernd, the name is rleete (last E is silent).  As in Roger.  Divided he ad spells it with a d in the middle, but those Brits are always sneaking in extra letters.  They must like to type.

I have to say that the advice given on machining the base is what I expected, but I'm scared to start.  I've messed up enough parts from stock, and getting another casting could be expensive.

Bernd:

--- Quote from: bogstandard on December 26, 2008, 04:40:45 PM ---Bernd,

--- End quote ---

Bogs

--- End quote ---

John

I tried to make a funny there but I guess it backfired. Eric said it's a place for people to show what they have made or "modified". Well, I modified some raw stock and rough castings.

I guess I need to go back and change that statement then. I've been told my one liners get me into trouble. How about now? :wave:

Bernd

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version