Author Topic: The Art Of Bending (with Cerrobend™)  (Read 7414 times)

Offline snub

• Canada
The Art Of Bending (with Cerrobend™)
« on: June 14, 2011, 12:14:56 AM »
I know that at least myself and hopefully others are intrigued by the use of a low melting alloy to aid in the bending of thin wall tubing. I happened upon this very old but very informative information and would like to share.  These were originally a PDF file and had them transferred to JPG so they are not the best quality. I will put up a link to the originals for those that are interested.

Here is a link to the original PDF:  http://www.canadametal.com/pdf/cerro_bending.pdf

Offline snub

• Canada
Re: The Art Of Bending (with Cerrobend™)
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 12:29:25 AM »
Seems I can only post so much and must continue later. Don't know why. Anyways, here is some more info that I found on the interweb:

Note that the " Low158" actually expands after it is cooled. Great for filling the tubing.

I  must add I have bought some of this metal, haven't had a chance to use it yet, but found a pretty good deal on it at Roto Metal. They are in California and shipping to Canada was no problem for them. Link to the site: http://www.rotometals.com/Low-Melting-Alloys-s/21.htm

Offline Anzaniste

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 07:10:16 PM »
This week I bent some 5/8 OD tubing for the first time using Cerrobend. I have had a chunk in stock for many years and only just got round to needing it. I plonked it in a sauce pan of boiling water and it melted very quickly I then poured water followed by molten Cerrobend into my bit of tube . When it cooled off I bent the tube without any collapsing in a fairly crude bending jig that does not have proper grooved rollers. When finished I just popped the bent bit of tube back in the saucepan and melted the Cerrobend out.
It really dead easy.
Scrooby, 1 mile south of Gods own County.

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 01:09:33 AM »
Thats a useful bit of info, when i come to macking the supperheaters for my loco i will have to put a tight bend in some thin wall stainless tube.

Thanks

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave: