Author Topic: Welcome visitors  (Read 6136 times)

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
Welcome visitors
« on: June 13, 2011, 02:18:16 PM »
Last year, I showed one of my larger projects, where we built a covered way so that Mal my wife could sit out, rain or shine. At the same time, I made our garden into a bird friendly place, even managing to keep Vinnie the Mog off the top of the surrounding fence by the use of plastic fence capping spikes. So unless the visitors are real dim, they will have no trouble from our cat.

In summer last year we had one Goldfinch visiting our garden, but never regularly. These are one of the rather rarer birds to get to come into your garden to feed.

About a month ago, a pair of them started to turn up, raiding the niger (thistle) seed feeder. The one last year took about a quarter of a feeder full in the whole season, this pair is actually consuming a whole feeder in two days, calling in every couple of hours, from very early morning until late at night, so we suspected they had young to feed.

Well today, the two adults appeared, followed by two young, which stayed at the bottom of the garden in a tree, while the parents flew from the feeder and fed them.

So it now looks like we are classed as a safe place to be by these very shy birds.

Over the last few weeks, we have been host to the whole range of garden birds bringing in their young to be fed. This is a young starling being shown how to pick up it's own food, at one time, up to about 6 young in one tray at a time, no further than six feet away from where we sit. In fact we have a blackbird that walks in and out around our legs, picking up food, and sits outside the back door waiting to be fed, first thing in the morning.

And this is our pride and joy this year, a breeding pair of goldfinches coming for a feeding session.

Mal sits outside, sometimes from about 5 in the morning until late at night, just getting enjoyment from watching the visitors to our garden.

The best project ever that I have done.

Bogs
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

lordedmond

Re: Welcome visitors
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 02:44:22 PM »
Good work John they need all the help we can give them  :beer:

I do not dare to  inquire from Linda as to the cost of the wild bird feed There are 12.5 kilo bags stored everywhere I look  :)

hope Mal is progressing  ok with her treatment

Stuart

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 03:23:19 PM »
Stuart, it is costing us about 25 to 30 squid a month at the moment keeping everything fed, but that doesn't include treats for the blackbirds, they love dried mealworms, but soaked in water. and they most probably cost us another tenner a month during fledging season. Things are slowing down a bit now, but give it another month or so and we will soon be into the second fledging season. But what price is life for defenceless animals?

Around our area, over the winter, the council decimated a lot of the hedges and wild areas by inconsiderate cutting, reducing their feed dramatically, so I think that is why there are such a lot coming into our garden for help.

Mal is doing the best as we can expect at this time, we will know a lot more in a few months time, as far as I know, November, after the first lot of treatment settles down and they can do more scans. Thanks for asking.

John

Skype - bandit175

Offline mike os

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 03:50:48 PM »
nice one Bogs.... I keep thinking about doing something here.... but fail regularly to actually do something
Political correctness is a doctrine,  ... which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 06:48:00 PM »
That is excellent John and I am sure Mal gets a lot of comfort from the little visitors.

We have considered doing the same here although this is not exactly the best part of the country for bird life.  There are some big(ish) trees over the back fence that are home to a gang of Australian magpies who no doubt would really like us to leave mice meat out on a pole for them but they are such agro baskets they would probably terrorise any smaller birds that came to dine.
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline jcs0001

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 08:27:48 PM »
John, you and Mal have a nice selection of birds.  I notice the starling - lots of them over here.  We don't feed them but have a lot of trees and bushes and it does attract a fair number of visitors - they really like the berries on our Mountain Ash tree.  I did notice a California Quail hanging very close to some of our bushes today - suspect there may be some young ones hiding out nearby as they usually stay further away from humans.  Very occasionally we see a Baltimore Oreole but I've never got a good photo.

Best of Luck,

John.

Offline websterz

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 08:55:00 PM »
We have more starlings than we can keep killed here. They (The US Starlings at least) are rats with wings. Nasty disease carriers that excel at destroying songbird nests and decimating less aggressive species. I kill them on sight.  :hammer:
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 02:41:46 AM »
Websterz,

That is really an unfortunate thing, we have the same sort of problems with magpies, a very beautiful looking bird, but vicious with it. In fact it was only last week, while Bandit was taking me for a walk, we came across four magpies trying to kill a fledgling starling, they had it pinned to the ground and were taking real nasty pecks at it. By driving my buggy over the grass, they were scared away and the fledgling, feathers ruffled, managed to get away.
In fact, Vinnie the mog had a run in with one that was perching on our fence, and Vinnie was chased off by it.

We try to cater for everything in our garden, but some things are a real pest, mainly wood pigeons and collared doves. They just land in the seed trays and gobble up everything, while pecking at the smaller birds who try to come in to feed. We wouldn't mind if they just stayed on the floor, picking up the pieces the smaller birds can't or won't eat. Plans are afoot to modify the trays so that won't happen. At the moment we just scare them away with a large water pistol, that keeps them at bay for about 30 minutes.

I actually moved the main feeder from the garden centre to where it is now, in a corner. A sparrowhawk found that it was easy pickings where it was situated before, but now, they can't get a good flight path in now, to snatch the little ones away. I know it is only nature taking it's normal course, but that can happen away from our little sanctuary.

John

Skype - bandit175

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 04:01:04 AM »
John, I believe your magpies are different species to ours but yours sound just as anti-social.. :coffee:
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 04:24:37 AM »
Magpies are OK if you train them right. 

You just have to let them know who's boss   :wave:

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline krv3000

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 04:48:50 AM »
HI Bogs nice to see a helping hand with wild life I dont feed in the sumer munths but in the winter time im out with me winter feeders just a tip have you tride growing sunflawers i grow them in grow bags just for the seeds  dont tac a lot of looking after just a watering gnaw and then  and the burds love them  regards    bob

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 10:52:12 AM »
We have more starlings than we can keep killed here. They (The US Starlings at least) are rats with wings. Nasty disease carriers that excel at destroying songbird nests and decimating less aggressive species. I kill them on sight.  :hammer:

Same problem here in NY. I've seen a starling rip apart a Blue Bird nest. I sent him/her to Starling Heaven. One also tried to destroy a Pyrple Martin nest. Sent him/her to the same place.

Here are some stat's from Wikipedia about this bird. Starling Scroll down to North American and read the stat's on this bird. Interesting thing is that it was improted in 1890 by Eugene Schiefelin to Central Park, New York. 60 to 100 birds were released. Now an estimated 200 Million exsist with no natrual predetor other than man.

The Starling in the US has no prdetator to keep it's population down as in Europe where, as Bog's said, the Magpie feeds on Starling's.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 11:32:10 AM »
Actually, most, but not all of our starlings go south for the winter, a lot of them ending up in Africa and most warm countries on the way.

Skype - bandit175