Author Topic: Sideshaft Hit-Miss  (Read 12309 times)

Offline Dave G

Sideshaft Hit-Miss
« on: June 12, 2011, 11:40:09 AM »
Here's a pic of one of my scratchbuilt engines. It is of hit-miss design made from barstock with the only castings being the flywheels. The sideshaft gears were sourced from Paul Debolt of Debolt Engines and are their Vaughn gears. There are very few sideshaft engines being modeled and I wanted to see if I could produce a worthy example. It is not modeled after any one full size engine but incorporates features of many engines I have seen and a few of my own ideas. It has a 1.25" dia bore and a 2" stroke with 8" flywheels and uses a flyball governor to regulate speed.

Offline Dave G

Re: Sideshaft Hit-Miss
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 11:42:30 AM »
Another view from the cylinder head end.

Offline Dave G

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 11:44:16 AM »
And one more.

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 11:59:38 AM »
How does the govenor work? looks to push the rocker sideways but that doesn't seem right as it would take a lot of throw to do that.

John S.
John Stevenson

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 04:11:04 PM »
 :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: Very nice Dave,,,,,,,,,,, stunning   :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Rob  :thumbup:

Offline Dave G

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 08:43:11 PM »
Thank you Rob, the rocker arm has a horizontal ledge milled into it just above the roller follower pin in the back. In the third pic you can see an L shaped piece just to the rear of cam that pivots on a pin that has a head like a rivet which you can also see. The bottom edge of the L shaped piece is cut into a wedge and traps the horizontal ledge in the rocker arm and holds the exhaust valve open. The rear part of the L shaped piece is connected to a couple of links that are raised or lowered as the flyballs move the spindle up or down. The speed is regulated by the 4 star shaped piece made of brass. In the second pic you can see the spring that is attached to the piece of brass and then the other end is connected to the L shaped piece. The L shaped piece only moves about .030" to trap the rocker arm. This was the hardest part of building this engine and I have many hours of time thinking about how to do it and keep it simple. All the pivots and links are on a double shear to give the components better support and life. The engine has many hours on it and seems to run better everytime I let it run. Dave

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 11:28:02 PM »
Nice work.  :thumbup: The pictures are very clear too!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline cfellows

• In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 12:15:38 AM »
Very nice, Dave.  Couldn't see it but I assume the spark plug is on he back of the valve block?  Got a video lurking around somewhere?

Chuck

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 01:39:31 AM »
That is a beautiful engine, I too would love to see a vid of it working if you have one.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 01:55:46 AM »
Very Very Nice David

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I've got a fasination for hit and miss engines.

Would it be posible for you to post a Video of it running

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 03:48:58 AM »
Nice pics, of a lovely engine David!  :clap:

Any chance of a video?  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Dave G

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 07:56:21 AM »
Thank you guys. The spark plug is in the back of the valve chest to hide it. My original intention was to get it running with the spark plug and then put an ignitor in the head later but that never happened. I will try to post some video of it running soon. Dave

Offline Dave G

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 02:46:04 PM »
Heres a video of my engine

Offline jonesie

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 03:34:16 PM »
hi dave nice job, and a great video.just finished my farmboy, and would like to build this one next. do you have plans available, or where i could get them.very nice build jonesie

Offline Dave G

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 06:08:31 PM »
Hi Jonesie, thank you for the compliment. I'm sorry but there are no dwgs for this engine. I built this a few years ago to see if I could do it and if I could, how well.
 There was a lot of hand work as it is built from bar stock exept for the flywheels. I tried to make it look like castings and that is what took alot of work. The side shaft gears are from Paul Debolt's Vaughn engine and they are still available. The gears that drive the flyballs for the governor are from Boston gears and are 2:1 ratio.
 I have tendency to take on projects like this to challenge myself and to have something a little different to show off at the shows I go to. I started building model engines in 2000 after going to the Names show for the first time, what an experience. After building a few casting kits of IC engines I started to get bored with building others designs and started to design and build my own creations. This is the first of my own designs and I didn't plan on any documentation at the time I built it. When I build I normally will draw basic sketches just to make sure I don't box myself in anywhere but I will fit each component as I go. I will spend much  more time thinking about the design than it takes to build it. I worked on my Rattler design for 3 months before ever making a chip and built the entire engine in just 3 weeks. Consider trying your own design, its not that difficult and the rewards are beyond description. Once again thank you, Dave

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 05:22:16 PM »
Mmmmm  :drool: :drool: I like...

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2011, 02:04:53 AM »
That is a cracking engine runs like a dream

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks for showing

Stew

A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline cfellows

• In Memoriam
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2011, 10:36:42 AM »
That's really a pretty engine.  Got nice thump to it when it fires, too.  Great runner.

Chuck

Offline Dave G

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2011, 08:34:39 PM »
Thanks guys, I appreciate the compliments. Having other people like what you build gives me more incentive to build more, Dave

Offline rudydubya

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2011, 03:16:14 AM »
Nicely done, Dave.  Beautiful finish, and a great runner.  I love the "pop" when it hits.   :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Regards,
Rudy