Author Topic: New guy from Ohio  (Read 5016 times)

Offline Dave G

New guy from Ohio
« on: June 12, 2011, 10:01:33 AM »
Hello everyone, new member here. I am a 52 year old Tool&Die maker who has taken an early retirement from having a real job. I started my apprenticeship at 19 at a major Bearing manufacturer and spent 30 years in the trade there. Now I build model IC engines and do a little drag racing in my spare time. I started the model engine hobby by building a Bob Shore's Silver Bullet in 2000 and have built a few hit-miss type engines from castings. I now like to design and build my own engines and I am the originator of the Rattler that Metalmad is now building and posting here. I have another idea for an engine that I want to build and after I get a few loose ends tied up at home here I will post the build here. I normally don't get much time in the shop during the summer but sometimes I just can't help myself and have to make something. Well I hope this is enough to get started with and I am looking forward to participating. Dave

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
Re: New guy from Ohio
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 10:06:05 AM »
Hello there Dave :wave: :wave: Welcome to Madmodder, it sounds like you will fit right in here.

Not that I'm speaking for others, but I'm sure loads would love to see your previous projects if you have any photos you would like to share, cos we love pictures  :worthless: :lol: :lol:

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 10:07:42 AM »
Hiya Dave  :wave:

Welcome to the collective :borg:

... sometimes I just can't help myself and have to make something. ...

For some reason, I think that fits a lot of us here!

What do you drag race? For some reason I think you are a Dodge/Chrysler guy  :med:

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 10:08:10 AM »
Dave,

Welcome fellow Dave, :wave:

There are a lot of David's and Dave's on here so you will feel right at home. :D :D :D

Don't tell anyone but I have a secret plan when there are enough David's on here we will take over the world :lol: :lol: :lol:

:beer:

DaveH

(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline Dave G

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 11:23:22 AM »
Thanks for the welcome guys.
 Hi Tim, yes, pics will be coming.
 Hi Eric, One of my weaknesses is old Mopars, especially ones that like to go fast. I used to be into racing alot more than I am now but being that I live less than 25 miles from a premier drag racing facility I do still like to make a few races. I'm finishing a 65 Dart now and should be to the track in a couple of weeks. I'm just a simple old bracket racer and can only wish I could afford to go fast once again. I did win once last year and nothing feels better than winning.
 Hi Dave, SSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, loose lips sink ships,  :hammer: :lol:  :lol: :lol: ,Dave

Offline BiggerHammer

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 09:47:38 PM »
Welcome Dave G.. Hope you enjoy yourself here.

So, are all the other David's going out and finding more David's and talking them into joining the site?

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 05:49:42 PM »
Hi
Dave
A big welcome did we mention the pictures  :worthless: :worthless: :worthless:
John

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 06:51:06 PM »
Hi and welcome  :wave:

Offline marfaguy

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 07:16:17 PM »
Hi Dave,
 I'm more or less a new guy here myself. Great group. Any questions I've asked have had some very thoughtful answers. I think you'll like it here.

Offline Dave G

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 09:03:01 PM »
Thanks for the welcome guys, I'm sure it'll be fun, Dave

Offline Hobby-Machinist

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 01:24:43 AM »
Dave,

You have a ton of experience, so I am curious what your home shop looks like.
Photos would be very nice.

Thanks

Nelson
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 01:26:33 AM by spuddevans »

Offline Dave G

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 10:15:41 AM »
Thanks again for the welcome guys. I have a 20 x 24 foot shop that houses all my machinery. My lathe is a Sharp 13-40 that was almost new when bought. I used to have an old step pulley Bridgeport but before retiring I bought a new Cleveland mill that is a Taiwan copy of a Bridgeport and am quite happy with it. I also have an Enco 7" lathe for smaller parts that I bought at an estate auction of one of my model engine mentors ( Lloyd Butler ). A Harig surface ginder and a Myford OD grinder also reside in my shop. They aren't used much but are quite handy for model engine work. One of my favorite tools is a Sunnen hone that I have alot of arbors for although my wife has yet to get used to the smell of honing oil. My equiptment is somewhat large for building model engines but that is not all I do so I have to comprimise at times. Most of my engines tend to be medium to large anyways. I bought a hydraulic press a few years ago and it has served me well and often. I will post pics of my shop soon, but be advised, I do not have a neat and orderly work area. My shop is well used and contains almost everything to serve my 3 main hobbies. These are model engines, drag racing, and rifle building. I'm due for a good cleaning anyways so pics will follow but my collection of stuff spans 30 years and I have alot of it. When I look at pics of others shops I wonder how they keep them so clean and neat. I only hope that maybe after being in them for 30 years they will look more like mine. LOL. Dave