Author Topic: introductions  (Read 6191 times)

Offline Roger Beere

introductions
« on: June 10, 2011, 06:51:50 AM »
 :beer:
Hi all.

I am Roger from Bradford, Yorkshire but now living in Brittany. France where Carole, my partner, and I have a gite. I am keen on building live steam models and have just completed a 4" Traction Engine. My next project is an Adams Radial 4-4-2 tank loco in 7.1/4.
I have a Bridgeport mill and a smaller mill and two lathes, I love engineering but hate computers. With a stroke of luck this message may get into introductions.

Regards.

Roger. Meneac. Brittany.

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Re: introductions
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 06:54:00 AM »
Hi and welcome! Please start a new thread about your builds to date and pictures..I`d sure like to hear more about them

Chris

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 08:18:53 AM »
Hi Roger

Welcome to MadModder. Nice to hear about your interest in steam and some of your builds and projects. I am sure that as you find your way around the forum you will share some photos of them with us. The "Adams Radial 4-4-2 tank loco" sure sounds like it will be a nice project. It sounds like your shop is fairly well set up so that is one plus. If you have any questions just ask as there is always someone around to answer or at least give an opinion. Let us all hope that you continue to have good luck with your computer and it does what you ask it too.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 08:45:57 AM »
Hi Roger,

And a welcome from me,

I luv my computer, bluudy thing hates me though :lol:

:beer:

DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 10:08:20 AM »
Hi Roger  :wave: Welcome from me too.

Like the others, I too would love to see your previous projects, along with any progress on your current ones  :worthless: :lol:

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 10:30:28 AM »
Hi Roger,

Wellcome, I'd like to see photos of your work and shop. And specially about tooling and mods.

Pekka

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 03:20:09 PM »
Hi Roger emailed me some photos of his projects and workshop which he would like to share with you all. I was going to start a new thread for him but I think it`ll look odd in my name (unless one of the site moderaters can open it in his name?) so I`ll post it up here and he can always add more detail later:

-------------------------------

Some photos of the workshop showing the Boxford 9 x 18 lathe, Bridgeport mill, super piece of kit, every modeller should have one. Mill drill, Lathe 60cm x 1mt. Two pillar drills. The start of the Adams Radial 415 class 4-4-2 tank loco in 7.1/4 gauge. In the middle of all that is my Little Samson 4" Traction engine which has taken me 4 years to build. The kit of castings for this engine is available from Edward George www.littlesamson.co.uk Please mention me if you contact him, smashing chap and very helpful. Two photos of my workshop which is 40ft x 30ft outside. The walls are 2ft 6" thick so my work area is 24ft square allowing for insulation. I could fill it all but need room for the freezer, gardening machinery and all the worthless crap that one accumulates but is too good to throw away.

--------------------------------------------

Just to also mention, as he said it was OK to, Roger owns a gite which he rents out which looks a lovely property.... my wife and I are considering going in Summer if we can work out expenses to get there, as his accomodation prices are excellent!! Of course that workshop is a very tempting lure as well  :ddb:

I hope that is OK Roger? - I`m sure now the pictures are up you can type what you want to about them! Although I think your travelling for a few days so maybe we won`t hear anything for a bit.

All the best
Chris
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 03:53:15 PM by craynerd »

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 03:32:26 PM »
Welcome aboard the Cube Roger  :borg: Cracking trick of perspective in that 3rd photo, I thought the traction engine was full size (or maybe 1/2 size).... it's only when you see it from the other side you notice it's on the table...

Or, to put it another way: 
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 07:20:45 PM »
Hiya Roger  :wave:

Welcome to the collective :borg:

Nice shop! Nice engine! I am jealous.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 04:32:39 AM »
Good size shop. Like your approach (looks functional and confortable) to the workshop decoration :headbang:

That engine looks really nice. Never build on, can't really appreciate enough effort that goes into constructing one.

You need pretty strong floor for that much machining. The whole floor is like 150 mm of concrete and two nets or some rebar?

Is that some sort of felt on the table under the engine? First I looked at the picture and tought that is concrete table...like some places in Mexico.

Pekka

Offline Roger Beere

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 06:42:36 AM »
Hi.

Don't know about the concrete, it had tractors on it before I bought the place. The traction engine is on a hospital bed which I bought in France from an army surplus. The bed has brakes, lifts up and down hydraulically and is plated for 250kg. There is a wood board on the table and an off-cut of English bedroom carpet for comfort :clap:

Regards

Roger

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 09:47:11 AM »
Hi and welcome. Thanks for charing youre photos I am very inpessed.  :bugeye: :bugeye:

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 05:46:18 PM »
Hi
Roger welcome to mad modders
I like that boxford hiding in your shop  :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Offline Hobby-Machinist

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 04:23:27 PM »
Europeans have the most well-landscaped and picturesque workshops by far.

Welcome Roger!

-Nelson in NY

Offline Mike Cole

• Wallasey Wirral
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 06:15:55 AM »
Hi Roger
Mike Cole here :beer:, Nice to see some more of your workshop. I noticed that you have also joined the steamboating forum. :clap:
Still working away on my cylinder block. Thinking about 2 years time when my little samson is finished and making a start on a steam launch :doh:
Yet to get tender plates made up so still might cut them out myself.

Mike