Author Topic: Shop Made Boring Head  (Read 5492 times)

Offline xo18thfa

Shop Made Boring Head
« on: June 08, 2011, 08:14:23 PM »
Another handy tool I’ve always wanted is a small boring head for the lathe or mill.  Handy to have, but maybe not worth the investment of purchasing one outright.  The plan for this boring head came from the internet somewhere, I don’t remember where I found it.  Joe Worthy drew the plan in Feb 2004.  It appears to be a community college or trade school student project.  If any one recognizes this plan, please help give proper recognition to the designer.

Here’s the plan:

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/xo18thfa/Boring_Head.pdf

Here’s my finished boring head.

The dovetail blocks are from cast iron.  Everything else is steel.  The leadscrew is 1/4" x 40 TPI. 

The only deviation from the plan is the method to engage the lead screw.   Worthy’s plan calls for a threaded block screwed to the front of the shanks to drive the leadscrew.  If the block is not machined perfectly, it may cause the leadscrew to bind.  Instead I used a piece of 1/4" steel bar “floating” in a slot.  Here’s the parts

The driving tab slips in the block during assembly.  It floats left/right, up/down to engage the leadscrew.

The method works very well.  The leadscrew does not bind at all.

The only “boo-boo” was cutting the dovetail slot a “TT” wide.  A strip of .002” brass shim stock appears to fix that.  The dovetail gib now tightens without effort.

Time to find a project requiring a bored hole.

2011 appears to be the year of metalshop upgrades.  Next on the list is George Thomas’ Universal Pillar Tool.
Bob Sorenson
Harrisburg, South Dakota, USA

Offline dickda1

Re: Shop Made Boring Head
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 10:35:50 PM »
Oh! beautiful job. :thumbup:
Where did you get your cast iron by the way?
-Dick
sunny (mostly) San Francisco, land of looney people, sane politics and occasional earthquakes.

Offline xo18thfa

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 11:05:14 PM »
Oh! beautiful job. :thumbup:
Where did you get your cast iron by the way?
-Dick

Thanks Dick.  The CI came from Speedy Metals.  They are a good outfit.  About the cheapest prices you can find.  They sell by the inch.

http://www.speedymetals.com/
Bob Sorenson
Harrisburg, South Dakota, USA

Offline mhh

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 05:11:03 PM »
Nice! Amazing job!