Author Topic: Hello  (Read 4654 times)

Offline dave1888

Hello
« on: June 06, 2011, 06:11:45 PM »
Hello I have just got myself a Myford ML7 lathe and some tools the thing is older than me. I hope to start making some add ons for the lathe like a ball turner tool etc.

I got some cutting tools 5/8 but they dont cut to the centre should i be using amother size? anyway great helpful site.

Offline BiggerHammer

Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 07:20:22 PM »
Welcome dave1888, Hope you enjoy your stay here.... you will never leave.

If I understand your problem correctly I think you need to install some shims under your cutting tool. I use a set of feeler gauges and put those under the tool to raise it to the correct height. There are several ways to get the correct height. I myself just eyeball the tool height in comparison to a dead center in the tailstock. It works ok.  Do you have a Quick Change Tool Post (QCTP)? If so you should be able to adjust the height with the adjusting screw on the tool holder.

Better yet you may want to wait on a reply from a more experienced member. They may explain it better. You can also look on youtube for some other methods of setting the height (most of which are probably more accurate than my method  :lol: .

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 07:36:38 PM »
Hello and welcome :wave:

Another Dave, you'll find alot of Dave's and David's on this site, it's a secret plan we have. :lol:

All the Dave's and David's are really great - except for one that is.

:beer:

DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 01:28:57 AM »
Hello and welcome to madmodder :wave:

A little trick that has been described to me for setting the tool height is to take a 6" rule and gently trap it between the tool and a round piece of stock in the lathe. If the top of the rule is angled towards you, the tool is too low, conversely, if the top of the rule is pointing away from you, the tool is too low. When the rule is vertical then the tool is on center.

If you havent got a Quick Change toolpost then you will have to use shims to raise the tool as BiggerHammer said.

Hope this helps,

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 02:07:47 AM »
A little trick that has been described to me for setting the tool height is to take a 6" rule and gently trap it between the tool and a round piece of stock in the lathe. If the top of the rule is angled towards you, the tool is too low, conversely, if the top of the rule is pointing away from you, the tool is too low. When the rule is vertical then the tool is on center.

Tim

Even in an intro post I`ve learnt something!!!!!  :mmr: :mmr:

Hi Dave -  :wave:

Chris

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 05:59:38 AM »
Hello Dave

Welcome.

Any paricular reason for 1888? It sounded familiar number.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1888

There are many different toolposts. All might not allow larger toolholder. Isn't 5/8" like 16mm? I suggest a reality check. Put the tool on the toolpost without shims and check if the cutting edge is at aproximate centre height (centre on the tailstock, caliber, ruler....). If you can adjust it to the centre height = no problem. If it comes higher and there is no way adjusting: Take a picture and start a thread on "How do I??" section. Someone is bound to have same lathe and probably even same toolpost!

Pekka

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 06:54:06 AM »
Hi Dave,

If you have a standard toolpost (a simple block with slots for tools in all four sides) then the ideal would be tools with shanks of such a size that the business end falls dead on centre height. You are unlikely to find those, and resharpening will alter the height of the sharp end anyway. So you need to get tools smaller than the ideal, and assemble a collection of shims of varying thickness to use as packing beneath them. To save fiddling about each time you change a tool, get some small containers in which you can store each tool and the shims which get it to the right height, though HSS tools ground to shape at each end complicate this.

I'm not familiar with Myfords, but 5/8" sounds a bit on the big side for a lathe of (?) 3.5" centre height.

If you do go in for grinding your own tools, bear in mind that smaller sizes of blank like 1/4" or 6mm square need a lot less grinding. Though there is some loss of rigidity, this is usually of no real consequence if overhang is kept to a minimum. My lathe will take 3/8" or 10mm tools, but I use 6mm much of the time.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline dave1888

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 04:26:07 PM »
The problem is the shanks are to big, I should be using 5/16 shanks instead of 5/8.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 07:21:49 PM »
Hiya Dave  :wave:

Welcome to the collective :borg:

Tell us a little more about yourself.  :med:

Eric

Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 05:51:28 PM »
Hi
Dave
Welcome to mad modders
Myfords usually use 3/8 or 10 mill tooling
John

Offline saw

• lucky amateur