Author Topic: cheap rev counter!  (Read 7002 times)

Offline jim

cheap rev counter!
« on: June 03, 2011, 04:51:57 AM »
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120443914027&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_1118wt_1139

just bought one of these (for one of my motorcycles). its the first cycle speedo that i've seen that has a RPM function.

could be a cheap and easy way of doing a rev counter?

bothe the lathes and mill have speed readouts, so not much point in me trying to fit one to one of my machines!
if i'd thought it through, i'd have never tried it

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
Re: cheap rev counter!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 06:28:08 AM »
Hi Jim,

Any idea of the max rpm it will display? I used a cycle computer (without an rpm function) on my old mill, making it believe it was on a 1667mm circumference wheel and reading out in kph. Multiplying the display by 10 then gave the rpm (e.g. 45.6kph = 456rpm). But it didn't expect anyone to pedal faster than 99.9 kph, limiting it to 999 rpm.

Wilkinsons sell one with "AS 11G" on the front for £8 which has an rpm function. I've got one of those now, and despite what its Chinglish instructions say, it will go up to at least 3000rpm.

One note of caution: the sensor heads contain a tiny glass encapsulated reed switches. Very fragile, as I found out the hard way.

Andy

Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline metalmad

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 04:40:31 AM »
HI guys
does anybody know of a cheap engine taco that can be used on singles as well as multys?
Pete
A little bit every day, sometimes the same little bit!

Offline jim

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 08:47:36 AM »
i would love to know myself!!

i've bought a cheap one before for multi cylinder and tried to adjust it on the back, does anyone know how they could be adjusted ???
if i'd thought it through, i'd have never tried it

Offline John-Som

• Start Model Engineering
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 09:27:57 AM »
Anyone fitting an RECL electronic ignition system can buy a plug in digital rev counter. I am currently building the Upshur vertical 4 stroke and the rev counter is a neat addition and good value at £11.00 Inc postage.

http://www.apacheaviation.co.uk/Ignition_Systems/ignition_systems.html

John-Som
start-model-engineering.co.uk - a friendly place for model engineering beginners