The Shop > Our Shop

Small Shop

<< < (2/6) > >>

bogstandard:
Hi Stew,

I remember it well from my visit a couple of weeks ago.

It was amazing how we both got in there, especially with someone my size.
But really it all boils down to getting the place just how you like it, everything to hand, and with a swivel chair you can almost reach all four walls.

My last shop was just like that, the spare box room upstairs. I carried my mill/drill up there in three seperate pieces, using a sling around the back of my neck, not enough room on the stairs for two people.

You will always find that the most perfect work comes out of these little shops. I think because they are so small you can only concentrate on one job at a time, rather than many projects scattered about the place.

It is nice to think about having a larger shop, but I am sure you will achieve a lot more just where you are.

John

Bernd:
Hard to believe a winter temp of 10 to 12 deg C (50 - 53 F) I would have the door open to if it were that warm.

We're going through the 3rd snow storm in about a week. Some places here have over 12" of snow. Temp right now at 8:30PM Eastern time is -11.6 C. I'm sitting here in my shop were it's 26.6 C typing this. I've got one of those little electric heaters with the oil in it and it keeps the room quite warm. The rest of the basement usally is around 12 to 18 C if I use the gas heater. If I use the radiant heating in the house the whole basement is at 21 C.

I'm going to have to take a few pics of the basement to show you guys how "stuff" multiplies exponentially as you bring it home. :scratch:

Here's what the basement looked like while I was building the house. The house is bascially a cross if you looked at it from above.

This section is just one of the arms of the cross section facing west. That is a soap stone stove I used to heat the house the first winter I was working on the house. This section now has my model railroad I started to build.

Here's a little over 2/3rds of the basement. It's completley filled up right now.

This is a pic of the radiant heating stapled to the bottom of the upper floor. It keeps the basement quite toasty if we don't use the stove to heat the up stairs.

This is the begining of what I like to call my model shop. It's kind of a room in the basement.

Here's a pic of the finished model room with some of my smaller machines. I wish it would still look as neat. :(

This is the postion I was when I took the previous picture. That's a computer table I built and in the chair is the shop mascot, Miss Boots. The shoot was taken from the door enterance.

It all began here. This is an over veiw from the garage enterance into the basement. what your looking at here is were the Bridgeport went into the basement. The wall have steel forums set up ready for a poured basement.

Here you are looking toward the garage and basement enterance on the left. This picture gives an idea of the cross layout of the house, all 2300sq ft. (You'll have to figure square meter)

Yes it maybe large but it was filled up just as fast as a small place. Now I'll have to take some pics and show how things got messy and unorganized. Stay tuned as I load new batteries in the camera and take some pics to post next time.

Bernd

Rog02:
Bernd:

I have to agree with you on the temperatures.  The high here today was 10 degrees F (-12 C) with wind chills around -15 F (-26 C).  10-12 degrees C is shirt sleeve weather. 

Bump and Thump decided to catch up on their office work while it was so cold.  Thump (the tiny little gray one being crowded by her fat ass brother) usually keeps my office chair warm when I am not using it.

Bump in his usual co-pilot position.  Talk about putting 10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound box! He starting snoozing in my in-box when he was a kitten and still thinks he fits.  I did buy him a bigger box, but he refused to use it.  I got the old one back out and he stuffed himself in.

Bernd:
Ok, I didn't need new batteries in the camera. I took some more pics of my shop area. I promise after this I won't post any more pics of my huge space.  :lol:  :scratch:

The first pic here is about the same area were I took the first pic with the stove in it. I wondered why I couldn't get the same composure as I did in the first pic. Then I realized I used a 35mm camera with a wide angle lens and scanned the photos. This time I was using digital. It's been 10 years since that first photo was taken. Now you can see how to fill up a space.

This view is a bit more to the left of the second view were the ladder is the only way to get to the first floor. The only things that haven't moved is the band saw, the post and the table saw.

With this view I've swung the camera to the right. That corner cabinet on the floor is for the kitchen. I did that 2 years ago. I haven't gotten to hanging it up in the kitchen yet. The wifes comment on that  :wack:  :hammer:  :whip: 'nuff said.

And back to were the stove used to be. You can barely see the bench work of my model railroad behind all the shelfing I got free.

A pic towards the outside entry and the model shop to the right.

Inside the shop. Compare this pic with the one were I was just setting up the machines.

The left wall.

This last pic is what the area looks like now. Compare that with the last pic where the shop mascot is in.

So haveing a large space does have it's disadvantages. The more space you have the more treasures that follow you home. Add to the the good intentions you have of making things nice and neat and this is what you end up with. A total disaster. After a while it's not fun anymore working on a project because you can't find half the tools that are scattered all over the place. In part that's one of my faults. I don't put things back in their proper place because I never had one to begin with. Talk about frustration.

Well anyway. No more talk about my large space for a shop. :wack: I guess it's time to get things in order so I can find them. I'll have to think about that for a while. :med: Ya like that's going to happen.  :lol:

Regards,
Bernd

Darren:
I thought you said it was full Bernd?

That's positively empty by British standards, you can get loads more in there yet  :lol:

I take it you get frequent power cuts round your way?

Darren

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version