Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Angle thingy....plate....

<< < (3/4) > >>

Darren:

--- Quote from: Brass_Machine on December 17, 2008, 10:43:16 PM ---
Anyway, I have an el cheapo MIG welder. THIS ONE Got it for really cheap (free). Figured I could learn on it.

Eric

--- End quote ---

Well it should have the power Eric, I always found lower powered, say up to 140A esp 100A and below gave mediocre results.

My Cemig was 160A and was lovely to use, mind you it cost £1,200 over 10yrs ago. The one I have now is a Sealey 210A, again not at the cheaper end of the market.

Darren:

--- Quote from: Brass_Machine on December 17, 2008, 10:52:58 PM ---I want a miller! Or even a Lincoln. Gonna start saving for one.

So your miller can do aluminum? Very cool.

Eric

--- End quote ---

My miller does ally, don't yours?

Oh, you mean one of these.....

You might want to have a scout around here Eric.....http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=881

Bernd:

--- Quote from: Brass_Machine on December 17, 2008, 10:52:58 PM ---So your miller can do aluminum? Very cool.

Eric

--- End quote ---

Yes it does. You need the gas, I think it was Argon and the spool gun. Reason for the spool gun is that it'll wad up if you try to push it through the long hose. With a spool gun it's right near the tip. Then it's a matter of adjusting speed and power. I've been able to weld as small as 1/8" plate aluminum. It'll dig out some of the pics of a job I did for myself.

Bernd

Darren:
A little update on the angle plate project

I had two things to do with this project.
Firstly I needed to machine the other side of the angle plate and secondly I wanted a "sacrificial" top plate. I'll explain why in a mo.

So first I needed to be able to mount it to the shaper to face the other surface. For this I need some mounting holes.

Here you can see me drilling out the bulk of the material to give the cutter an easier life.

Then I attacked it with a milling bit, looks like a rat's chewed it rather than a precision bit of machining.
TBH I struggle with milling, I'm not sure if it's me or my miller, I just can't seem to get on with it? I could really do with some tutoring.

Now to mount the top/sacrificial plate

This plate turned out to be so hard it chewed up drill bits in an instant, even the center drill couldn't touch it. No wonder I couldn't mill it to make T-Nuts the other day, it just ripped the tips off instantly !! This explains it. On the other hand the shaper cuts it fine with no problems.
Can anyone enlighten me to what it could be? It's some sort of steel, I used it to make the webs for the angle plate. Cuts fine on the bandsaw and welded ok too.
But drill or mill it no can do...!

So back off to the bandsaw to cut a piece off another bar

The newly cut top plate was clamped to the angle section and drilled in four places for fixing, Then it was countersunk.

The four holes in the angle plate were tapped 6mm

And the top plate was mounted

I decided to cut two elongated 6mm slots and drill and tap two 6mm holes, These go right through both sections.
Again the milling was precarious, I broke two milling cutters doing this....not good..

Both ends were squared

Now mounted back on the shaper to take the top surface off

As you can see the shaper does a pretty good job, it's totally flat in all directions and this is just the rough cut, need to do a final finish yet but will wait till the side has been done first.
Also note the top plate over hangs at the back onto the shaper bed to act as a locator. This is to make life easier in positioning the angle plate square after it has been removed from the machine.
If the work to be carried out needed to be ultra critical the top surface could have a very slight skim taken off first to ensure it's absolutely true.
Other wise it would need to be re-cut to square it off properly, either that or take an awful long time setting it up with a dial gauge.

All that needs doing now is to finish off all the sides, clean it up and give it a lick of paint.....then I'll use it for what I have in mind   :)

Bernd:
Darren,

Could be the crust that's on that metal. Oxidation is sort of abrasive. Take a piece of that metal and clean it up with the shaper. Then try drilling. If it still doesn't drill properly I was wrong in on the first sentence.

A comment on this project. It's looking real good. I have a feeling it's going to be a vise for the shaper?  :med:

Do I have any takers for a bid?  :clap:

Bernd

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version