Home Base > Introductions

Hi From SBWHART (Stew)

(1/4) > >>

sbwhart:
Hi

I thought it was about time I introduced myselve.

I'm married with two grown up kids

I'm a semi retired engineer, fished full time work 18 months ago working for BAE systems, since then I've been working part time for the same company.

I origonaly served an apprentiship as a tool and gauge maker with the Ministry of Defence MOD, but I've not worked on the tools for nearly 40 years. I took up model engineering about six years, as a hoby. My first project was the beam engine Mary by Tubal Kain

After this I kind of drifted arround macking bits a pieces for friends and making bits for sail on ebay mainly the Minnie traction engine, to build up my workshop kit. My work shop (shed) is 3 meteres square (thats 3ft 3 inch is old money) so its small, my machine is a Chesters 3 in 1.

My latest project is a 3 1/2" model of a London and North Western Railway (LNWR)  Jumbo locomotive to the design of LBSC design.

Well thats me;- the only thing I can add is that I live close to John (bogstandard) and had the pleasure of meeting him and he's a real nice guy.

Have Fun

Stew

vince69619:
Hi Stew,

Very nice work!  Maybe I can produce work like that some day.

Vince.

Bernd:
Stew,

Welcome aboard. I think you'll enjoy yourself here.

That's quite an impressive build for a first time engine. I just can't get over you Brit's putting out such nice work in such tiny shops.

And yes Bogs is quite the guy. Unfortunatley I live across the pond and haven't had the pleasure of meeting him.

Regards,
Bernd

bogstandard:
I visited Stew last Tuesday, and admired that beam engine as soon as he showed it to me. It is even better in real life.

The workshop is I would guess, an English model engineers standard size. There is a place for everything, and everything is in it's place. A real model engineer is our Stew, throws nothing away, just in case. He classes himself as a newbie, and I will tell you now, he is far from it.

And just to answer Bernd about our workshop sizes.

In the UK we have a lot of green fields and rolling hills, but in the northern part of the country, building land is at a premium, so you usually get only a small garden. By the time SWMBO has her bit for drying washing, and planting things that pop up out of the ground in assorted colours, there is not much left, and we have to make do with what we have.

The picture below shows how a lot of the northern towns looked, and some are still like this. Houses built by business mogels to house his workers. Lose your job, and you were out on the street. So where would you fit a 30ft X 20ft workshop? The gardens were just big enough to have a small washing line, a coal bunker and a brick built outside khazi.
Now you can see why most of us have small workshops.

Bogs

Brass_Machine:
Hey Stew!

Nice looking engine that one

Welcome to the club.

Eric

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version