Author Topic: Milling machine issues  (Read 2826 times)

Offline JimM

• Chessington, Surrey
Milling machine issues
« on: May 26, 2011, 06:31:45 PM »
Hi guys, I curently own an Elliott Juniormil which is in need of some TLC ! It has a couple of issues which I've listed below and I'm in two minds if it's worth investing the time and money into it or if I should just call it quits and find something else. Kwackers has been offering advice (he has a similar machine) but I'd thought I'd throw it out to the forum as well to get a wider opinion.

First major point is that the machine has obviously had a bit of a hard life to the extent where the knee has been completely split in two at one of the dovetails  :bugeye:  It has been repaired by bolting a block across the split (see diagram) and whilst this seeems pretty solid it's affected the dovetail angle slightly and it no longer sits tight to the column slideway. When I change from lowering to lifting the knee  there is about 10 thou of movement front to back  ie knee moves tighter to the column and vice versa when changing from raising to lowering.  I'm hoping a regrind of the dovetail and back of the knee will sort this - any opinions welcome ?

However there is also a problem with the table travel. If I chuck up a DTI and run it along a table slot I get about 2 thou of run out when travelling from one end of the table to the other. If I then clamp a square across the table and do a similar test in the Y axis I'm getting around 5 thou of run out for every couple of inches of movement !!  I know there is some wear in the Y slides as the table gets sloppy the more I wind it out from the column. However is this wear likely to explain how the X axis travel can be good but the Y so poor?  Is it simply a case of getting these slideways reground too.

If it is simply a case of sending the knee and table assembly away to be sorted I'll be a happy bunny but I don't want to go to the expense of having the work done if I'm not going to see much improvement. I know it's hard to diagnose a problem without actually seeing the machine but if anyone has any advice on what else to look for I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers

Jim

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
Re: Milling machine issues
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 07:08:37 PM »
By the looks of your drawing and considering general engineering principles, that repair is no use at all. All the weight of the knee will be trying to bend the repair angle, so the dovetail is flexing outwards.

When cast iron cracks, it usually goes together very well afterwards, and really, it is better to do the repair mechanically, rather than resorting to either welding or bronze welding. In industry you would call in the repairers to have the cast iron 'stitched' together using tapered wedges that cross the crack, and when driven in, pull the break together. But that usually costs a fair amount, so maybe you could have a look in Yellow Pages, you may be lucky and find someone to do it locally, they usually charge by the number of 'stitches' required and whether you can get the job to them, or they come out to you. I can't quote prices because it was a fair time ago, and I never had to pay the bill anyway, that was sent directly to accounts.

So, if that isn't possible, you need to take the strain off that repair bracket and make the repair more stable.

If I was doing the repair, going on what you have shown, I would take out the second bolt down and drill the hole much deeper, actually so that it penetrates to well beyond the crack. Drill out the beginning of the hole, to just past the crack, a clearance size for the bolt to be used. Then from the bottom of the clearance hole, drill and tap for a good strong thread, Whitworth, UNC or Metric coarse, then pull the crack together using the bolt. That would need to be done to well past the crack depth down the dovetail, just to stop it cracking any further.

Just my take on the problem.

Bogs
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175