Author Topic: any ML10 users, I need to know the best quick change tool post  (Read 12884 times)

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
Hi I am about to buy a new tool post for my ML10 and need to know what is the best one for it or what are you using that you find OK

thanks

Peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

lordedmond

Re: any ML10 users, I need to know the best quick change tool post
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 02:57:32 AM »
the dikson type should work OK

Myford ones are dear but RDG and Chronos and warco do them cheaper

If you want to be sure ring Myfords up and ask them or email them they will tell you

Stuart

Boz

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 03:33:44 AM »
I used a Dickson clone from Chronos on my old ML2. This on a raising block on the saddle. I've now upgraded to an ML7R and it works very well on that on the topslide. I did have to run a drill through the mounting hole to get it to fit the ML7R stud, it was a few thou too small. You'll get better quality with a Myford one, but for the price, the Chronos one works well for me. I can even part with it now I've got a stiffer lathe :thumbup:.

It would be worth checking tool clearance with the ML10. On the ML7R I can fit a 10mm tool tightly, an 8mm tool is an easy fit to the C/L. I have bought spare toolholders from Chronos and had one that had a thicker base :scratch:, so that is marked for 8mm tool use only.

Boz

lordedmond

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 04:22:34 AM »
Boz

I forgot that ,that the clone tool holder are not all the same , causes me problems with my Super seven, I sort them to suit the tool

Stuart

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 06:44:49 AM »
Just a quick up date to this post, I bought a nice quick change tool post from RDG it is a Dixon type. the top slide had to be modded by removing 2.8mm to be able to use 8mm tools , John, Boggs
said there was plenty of metal as i asked him to do it as dont have a mill at the moment and would not do not feel competant to do it anyway. any way John did a lovely job as usual and hear are some pictures of it, I bought some extra tool holders with it , the picture shows one of the supplied holders, I ground the tool , it is prob the wrong shape and i need to look in to tool grinding , I have a couple of tiped parting tools I will be using though. the other picture is of the nice small inverter on the Back wall with cover removed ( card board box till I can bend some Lexan)  so I can take pictures.

:ddb: :ddb: Peter  :ddb: :ddb:
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 06:46:22 AM by HS93 »

Boz

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 06:58:25 AM »
Nice one Bogs :bow:.

Good move Peter, that will open up the ML10 nicely for tooling in general, not just with the QCTP.  I have changed the grind of the parting tool that came with the QCTP - it had a skew grind on the end, so tended to drift off when parting deeply into brass. Now I have it ground square which helps.

Boz

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 07:48:48 AM »
Hi Peter

I also have the RDG dixon type tool post. I think mine is the T1 size (I could be totally wrong with that as I forget). It has been fantastic for me, the extra holders are a touch pricy at £20 but maybe that is me being a tight ar£3 - then again much cheaper than the real dixon ones I expect!!

Chris

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 07:50:36 AM »
Nicely shown Peter.

Seems like we took off enough then to get your tools down to the correct height.

BTW, I suggested removing a little from the top of the compound purely because I did exactly the same thing many years ago to a small myford lathe I owned, and that is still going strong now, being used almost daily, with no adverse effects.

Not like Myford, who wouldn't give any help to Pete's toolpost problem at all. Absolutely typical of a company that is still working 50 years in the past, and don't seem to consider a QCTP as a normal fitting.

I just couldn't believe that a company would put 3 jacking screws right thru the top of the compound casting just to push out a fairly loose fitting toolpost stud, when they should have been in the stud flange instead.

Mind you, I suppose they did that so that they could charge an extra 10 or 20 squid per hole (not including grubs screws).

John
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

lordedmond

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 10:28:17 AM »
Peter

that pic of your VFD gave me the willies  , get a cover over those exposed terminals at the top ( the chocy bar ones ) they are just waiting for some swarf to land on them  :zap:

Stuart

Offline lazylathe

• Mastering the art of reducing metal into swarf!
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 12:33:31 PM »
Hi Peter,

I have the same QCTP on my ML7 and love it!!
Also bought a bunch of extra holders, but have yet to fill them.

It does make life a lot easier!!

Andrew

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 01:17:57 PM »
Peter

that pic of your VFD gave me the willies  , get a cover over those exposed terminals at the top ( the chocy bar ones ) they are just waiting for some swarf to land on them  :zap:

Stuart

Hi Stuart thanks for the concern , it does say it has the cover removed to take picture and as soon as I find my hot air gun a Lexan one will be fitted Permanatly

Offline joegib

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 08:43:09 AM »
Not like Myford, who wouldn't give any help to Pete's toolpost problem at all. Absolutely typical of a company that is still working 50 years in the past, and don't seem to consider a QCTP as a normal fitting.

I just couldn't believe that a company would put 3 jacking screws right thru the top of the compound casting just to push out a fairly loose fitting toolpost stud, when they should have been in the stud flange instead.

Mind you, I suppose they did that so that they could charge an extra 10 or 20 squid per hole (not including grubs screws).

John

Well, to be fair to Myford those screwholes aren't for jacking screws. They're part of the set-up for fitting the 4-tool turret, in particular, a sort of fixed 'ratchet wheel' that sits in a recess of the turret base as shown here:

The turret has a sprung detent whose point engages with the ratchet's angled faces as the turret is indexed to the various tool positions.

Anyway, this is a nice modification that opens up the field for fitting a QCTP to an ML10 so thanks for that.

Joe

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 11:09:52 AM »
Point taken Joe, thanks for putting me right.

But that still doesn't clear up why Myford didn't want to know when confronted about how to fit a QCTP.

Their answer was basically,

"We looked at that a while back on the ML10, but thought it wasn't worth pursuing, so we didn't carry on doing anything about it".

So basically, as far as I can understand, 'you've bought it and you are on your own'. 'We only do things where we can rip people off and make loadsa money out of it'.

Bogs
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175