Author Topic: Spring cleaning  (Read 3320 times)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Spring cleaning
« on: May 01, 2011, 02:55:45 PM »
I guess that is what you could call this. Having spent the last 5 months recovering with two open heart surgeries  I had a lot of time on my hands recuperating. I got to thinking about the projects that are sitting around and the ones I want to do. Also since I've been on this forum for a while now I've learned to be patient with my projects.  I would loose interest in projects. I would start one and then something else would pique my interest. For example, for about the last 4 years I wanted to build a VW powered snow blower that ran on tracks. I've finally decided a used pickup truck with a plow would be faster. So I cleaned up my website and got rid of some of the projects I have lost interest in. There were just to many. I'd never get to all in my live time.

So what am I leading up to? I've always wanted to build a CliShay. I started the frame back in 1993.  :bugeye: Dosen't seem that long ago. The frame is sitting somewhere in my Dad's shop, hopefuly. I also bought the castings for a Ken Schodder Shay. I'd like to build a four truck Shay. I have a web page up on these projects but never started the builds. I also wanted to build an electric box cab, that project has been scraped too. When I belonged to a live steam club I was enthusiastic about building these, but along came other interests to draw my attention away from those projects.

I know Don is going to  :poke: me on this one. My rescue boat has been in limbo all winter long. The boat bug won't bite until I have the speed boat out in the water and it decides to quit out of reach. I'll have to get on the jet ski to retrive it. So that's one project that will need to be finished. For you new memebers, these are model boats.

I'm planning on this fall to start the CliShay project. It will be a modification of the one that was written up in the 1977 Live Steam magazine. It will have a bigger engine and will have a combination of gear and chain drive. I have already gathered all the drawings need for the build. I've been studing how Kozo build the trucks for his Climax and will be following his drawings for the trucks. Much better method of construction than in the LS article. The larger engine design is coming from a write up in the June-July 2000 Modeltec magazine, now defunct. I'm going to post a question in "The Design Shop" about the linkage used for reversing the engine. I plan on posting a build log but won't be going into great detail on the build itself. There'll be nothing new in the building of the engine. If there is a more to it then a detailed post will be called for. After I complete this project I plan on starting on the Ken Schodder Shay. In between these two ambitious projects will be some small projects.

And I know that Don will be  :poke: me to keep me going.  :lol: Thanks Don. :beer:

Oh, by the way if anybody is interested in the web page I've set up for the engines, here's the link: Clishay & Ken Schodder Shay

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: Spring cleaning
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 04:25:42 PM »
Bernd

Sounds like a good plan to me. The only thing that I won't allow is for you to become a better procrastinator than I am. I wouldn't wish that on anybody. Just make sure that the first two things that you do is to get yourself recuperated and rig up something to lift that 6" chuck for the lathe. :poke: :poke:

There is nothing wrong with using a JetSki to retrieve your RC boat, it would probably be much quicker.  :lol:

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: Spring cleaning
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 07:54:12 PM »
Bernd

Sounds like a good plan to me. The only thing that I won't allow is for you to become a better procrastinator than I am. I wouldn't wish that on anybody. Just make sure that the first two things that you do is to get yourself recuperated and rig up something to lift that 6" chuck for the lathe. :poke: :poke:

The gray matter is working on that.  :smart:

There is nothing wrong with using a JetSki to retrieve your RC boat, it would probably be much quicker.  :lol:

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Yes there is. When the water temp is only about 40° F and it splashes on you while going about 20 to 30MPH the wind chill factor cools you off real fast.  ::)

As far as procrastinator title is concerned it seems we a running neck and neck.  :lol:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds