The Craftmans Shop > New from Old

Knives, from junk.

(1/4) > >>

one_rod:
Noticed a bit of knife-related traffic on this forum, so I guess it will be ok to talk about this stuff here.

Knifemaking is a bit of a passion of mine, but I flatly refuse to buy materials for it. At least half the fun is in knowing that finished knife cost me nothing except time and ingenuity. (Well, that and a bit of forge coke and a lot of sweat).

These knives are made from files. File steel is around 1% carbon, good stuff for blade making. A bit tough to forge, but easy to heat treat and takes a very nice edge. Sometimes it's also fun to leave the file teeth on, just to add a little "texture" to the finished blade.

Pretty obvious what these next ones started life as.
Toughened, rather than hardened, are good prying knives. Anyone who does field archery or bow hunts will find themselves having to dig arrows out of tree trunks from time to time. Don't need to be razor sharp, more of a crowbar with a cutting edge.

And from there on the possibilities are endless.

Reinforcing bar...

Allen keys...

Truck half-shafts...

Roller bearing shells...

Car leaf springs...

The local scrap yard provides plenty of supplies and endless inspiration.

one_rod.

Powder Keg:
Wow!!! Those are great!!! I hope mine turn out half that nice(o:

Wes :wave:

Andy:
I'm not usually interested in knives but I like these - creative and they just have that right 'look'.
Any chance of a 'how to' on any of them?

Stilldrillin:
Rod.
They're beautiful!  :bugeye:

Love your ability to see the possibilities, inside a piece of scrap.....  :clap: :thumbup:

David D

Bogstandard:
Absolutely wonderful.

I need to reblade a couple of my 'special' toolbox folding knives, now I know what to use.

Bogs

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version