Author Topic: How do you make your own rivet  (Read 5835 times)

Offline ieezitin

How do you make your own rivet
« on: April 09, 2011, 09:28:26 AM »
Hello peoples.

In my sketch is a clamp fixture I am making for a prototype indicator holder. Its two pieces of stainless steel plate with a aluminum block sandwiched in between the stainless plates. I want to rivet this together with three brass pin rivets ( I do not mean pop rivets).

This block or fixture is being designed to be strapped to a round shaft or hub by means of roller chain that is attached to one side and looped around and clasped to the fixture 180* opposite, there will be a little strain on the block so I do not want to dislodge the rivets by repetitive use so I require a nice tight fit once it’s been set.

Can anyone give me some pointers on hole tolerances and a method of peening the rivets. I would assume some tooling to be manufactured too which I don’t mind making.

To recap this is what I am shooting for.
Nice tight fit that will not work loose. Attractive finish on both sides of the rivet. Rivet diameter around .090 or less this could be anything really as long as I get the first two requirements.

All your thoughts are welcome. And I thank you all in advance.      Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline Jasonb

Re: How do you make your own rivet
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 11:35:03 AM »
I can't tell from the drawing if you want a snap (domed) head or a countersunk one that will finish flush as this will affect the way you form the rivit.

If CSK then you can either just use CSK rivits which mostly only need peining on one end or just use brass rod and pein both ends over into teh CSK and file flush

For snap heads you will need to buy snap head rivits then use a set and snap to form a head on teh opposite side.

Size wise drill a 3/32" hole and use 3/32 rivits/rod.

Jason

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 12:31:46 PM »
Well Jason I would like them to be domed on both ends purely as an aesthetic look although sanding them flush and that look it would generate has me thinking…  I was too thinking about making my own rivet from small bar-stock. I take it from your suggestion if I were to put a little counter bore in the stainless then peen the rivet then sand there would be enough material laid in the counter sunk hole to hold and give the clamping force?

Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline Jasonb

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 01:31:09 PM »
Yes a CSK about 5/32 accross the top would hold well and when the excess rivit is filed off flush it will just show as a round disc or if done in the same metal will be virtually invisible. The CSK heads are easier than snap heads also.

The strakes (slanted steel strips) on these traction engine wheels are held with steel rivits CSK and filed flush and can't be seen. The small internal strips are held with alloy rivits and you may just be able to see them due to the different colour of the alloys between teh rim & rivit

J