Author Topic: How to deal with rust???  (Read 15968 times)

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
How to deal with rust???
« on: April 08, 2011, 11:19:22 AM »
I brought a casting (Stuart D10) by Ebay and the most looks very good, but the bols and nuts where full of rust. Any good tipps how I simply can fix this?   :(

Offline MikeA

Re: How to deal with rust???
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 01:27:18 PM »
Hello Saw,

There are a number of ways, one of the easiest being just drop it into some white vinegar and let is sit for a few days - will get rid of the rust and not harm the metal. The other very effective non-destructive route is electrolysis (a Google search for rust + electrolysis will give you about 400K responses, many with detailed instructions.

Best,
Mike
'Better is the enemy of good enough!'

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 02:07:58 PM »
Small parts are easily cleaned in naval jelly.  Available at any decent hardware store.  Glop it on, let it sit for a while, then wash it off with hot water.  Dry parts thoroughly.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 03:03:35 PM »
I am sorry but I don't understand, what is naval jelly? :doh:

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 03:51:47 PM »
Many thanks Kenneth, sometimes the technical terms kan be very hard to understand or translate, but I do understand now. Now I will only hope that I manage to remove the rust on those small bults..  :bang:

Offline crabsign69

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 07:22:57 PM »
was there a way to put in water a add electric to it  in order to remove rust. i dont remember how exactly but it does work i did it a long time ago to remove rust from something er other and it sure did remove the rust. cant recall if it was 12 volts or what. maybe google it.

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 08:01:41 PM »
was there a way to put in water a add electric to it  in order to remove rust. i dont remember how exactly but it does work i did it a long time ago to remove rust from something er other and it sure did remove the rust. cant recall if it was 12 volts or what. maybe google it.
That's the "electrolysis" MikeA mentioned.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 01:59:19 AM »
Vinegar works for me!  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline arnoldb

• Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 01:44:52 PM »
Hi Benni

Like mentioned, vinegar or Naval Jelly will do the job; in fact almost any acid will remove the rust - diluted pool acid (Hydrochloric) or diluted battery acid (Sulphuric) will do the job, but are dangerous, toxic, and difficult to dispose of.  Citric acid is a good choice to consider - it is environmentally friendly and non-toxic.

The electrolysis method usually requires caustic soda, and would be difficult to use on small parts, but is very effective.

If you use any acid to remove the rust, just make sure you give the bits a good wash in detergent water to get rid of any grease or oil first.

Immediately after removing from the acid or electrolysis bath, rinse the parts in clean water and coat them with oil, otherwise they'll start to rust again immediately.

And if you don't feel like messing around with chemicals, a bit of manual work with a wire wheel or a "scotchbrite" pad will also remove light rust.

Regards, Arnold

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 02:55:47 PM »
Hi guy's and thanks for all tips.
This is what I have done, I put all i a small plastic box and spray some CRC 5-56 then clean with water. Then I filled up with apple vineger and it seam to do the job. However I do belive that it needs some handworks to, but I think that I am radar pleas with the result.  :D
Thanks agan  :headbang:

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 03:14:20 PM »
Hi Benni

Like mentioned, vinegar or Naval Jelly will do the job; in fact almost any acid will remove the rust - diluted pool acid (Hydrochloric) or diluted battery acid (Sulphuric) will do the job, but are dangerous, toxic, and difficult to dispose of.  Citric acid is a good choice to consider - it is environmentally friendly and non-toxic.

The electrolysis method usually requires caustic soda, and would be difficult to use on small parts, but is very effective.

If you use any acid to remove the rust, just make sure you give the bits a good wash in detergent water to get rid of any grease or oil first.

Immediately after removing from the acid or electrolysis bath, rinse the parts in clean water and coat them with oil, otherwise they'll start to rust again immediately.

And if you don't feel like messing around with chemicals, a bit of manual work with a wire wheel or a "scotchbrite" pad will also remove light rust.

Regards, Arnold

No need for Caustic Soda, ordinary Washing Soda ( Sodium Carbonate ) is quite adequate.

We've been through electrolytic de-rusting before BTW ..

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=1651.0

Dave BC
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 03:18:42 PM by Bluechip »
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline Hobby-Machinist

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 12:59:04 AM »
+1 on white vinegar- it is cheap and non-toxic, turns the rust to a greyish residue that can be scrubbed off.

+1 on Naval Jelly- more expensive, but tried and true.

Nelson
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 01:02:00 AM by spuddevans »

Offline AR1911

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 10:28:02 PM »
Evaporust!

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 08:15:55 AM »
A word on the the use of vinegar, it will all so remove thin plating from the screws and other hardware. And be sure to wash them off well or neutralize them with baking soda and water mix. And then dry well as they will flash rust when removed. And when doing larger hardware you do have to keep an eye on them as some times depending on the alloy they will start to oxidize as soon as they hit the air.

You should remove any loose rust before putting them in the vinegar, with a wire brush.
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline dedaddy007

• Ignorance can be cured, stupidity is forever.
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2011, 08:05:03 PM »
I have removed the rust from everything from nuts and bolts to car frames using EvapoRust.  I use it extensively cleaning up old tools and woodworking planes.  It is non-toxic, ph neutral and oder free.  It will not touch paint, base iron, aluminum, plastic, wood or anything that is not an oxide of iron.  It rust proofs cast iron.  See the website www.theruststore.com for more information.  You can get it at most automotive stores, Caswell Plating and some Harbor Freight stores.  I buy it in 5 gallon jugs as it lasts forever until used.

The one thing you have to watch out for is it takes off blueing, black oxide and some anodizing.
Lee
MECA 5575-11

Offline MadNick

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 09:33:00 AM »
Afternoon,

Ive got a lathe chuck that seems to be suffering. I take it any of the suggestions in this thread are equally applicable?

Nick

Offline sparky961

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 10:12:13 AM »
To add my two cents, after cleaning up the part using one of the many methods described, I find that sticky chainsaw bar oil works very nicely to seal the surface.  Even after wiping a lot of it off, there's still a protective residue left.  Mix with your lighter oil of choice if you find it too sticky.

Yes, it is messy but it does work.  A better solution is to keep water from condensing on the metal by controlling the air/metal temperature.

Do not use transmission fluid.  In my experience, it seems to be hydroscopic (draws in moisture and retains it) and will actually cause MORE rust.

-Sparky

Offline Tony Wells

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 08:33:47 PM »
5:1 water:Molasses and a little time. Good old timers method.
Resistance is NOT Futile,
it is Voltage Divided By Current!

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 02:28:20 AM »
Afternoon,

Ive got a lathe chuck that seems to be suffering. I take it any of the suggestions in this thread are equally applicable?

Nick

Whichever method suits you,  Nick!   :scratch:

Did anyone else in the UK notice the state of their machinery a couple of days back, as the weather warmed? Mine was covered in heavy condensation.  :bang: :bang:

Thank goodness for a WD40 regime, at each knock off.......  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2012, 02:30:31 AM »
Just to reinforce Tony Wells' tip. Here in OZ there is a chap who restors old paddle steamers and engines. He uses Molasses:Water 1:10, Tosses the parts in for about a week. Guess the 1:5 might be a bit quicker. A non toxic, safe method and yes, he is an "Old Timer"
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline mattinker

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2012, 01:01:53 PM »
Hello Saw,

There are a number of ways, one of the easiest being just drop it into some white vinegar and let is sit for a few days - will get rid of the rust and not harm the metal. The other very effective non-destructive route is electrolysis (a Google search for rust + electrolysis will give you about 400K responses, many with detailed instructions.

Best,
Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the vinegar tip, I've never heard of it as a rust remover before, well, I've only been metalworking for the last fourty five years, so it shows, you can always learn something!

I have a surface plate that I got out of a skip (dumpster), it had been used as the base for a machine, so it comes complete with threaded holes that I could do without but the price was right! It's 50cm x 30cm which would mean a lot of vinegar in a tub, so a rag soaked in white vinegar spread out on the top over night, the whole thing in a plastic bag (I hate the smell of vinegar), the rag changed from white to a nice rust brown! time for a wash down and some chainsaw oil before I scrape it in!

Thanks again, Matthew

Offline MUDDAWG

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2012, 10:32:24 AM »
I know im late here on this subject  , but heres a link to an article on electrolytic rust removal

great process but nothing beats a wire wheel when its needed now

mike

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/showwiki.php?title=Electrolytic+Rust+Removal
the Master of Metal !

Offline cegreen

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2012, 11:54:39 AM »
I don't know whether it's available outside the U.S., but I second AR1911's suggestion of Evapo-Rust.  It really works wonders! (I have no affiliation - just a satisfied customer.)

In the U.S., some auto parts stores have it, and it's available through amazon.com and eBay.  Highly recommended!

I should mention that I've used vinegar, molasses, and electrolysis, among other approaches, and Evapo-Rust is by far the fastest and easiest method. The results are amazing, and it only affects the rust, not the base metal.

Note that, for best results and longest life of the solution, the parts should be degreased before using Evapo-Rust, which can be re-used repeatedly.

-Chris