Author Topic: Digital Read Out from Singapore  (Read 6332 times)

Offline Anzaniste

Digital Read Out from Singapore
« on: April 07, 2011, 05:39:55 AM »
Has anybody got any experience of these people?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-axis-digital-readout-mill-milling-machine-/220536768357?pt=UK_BOI_Industrial_Automation_Control_ET&hash=item3359040765

Even given that I would have to pay VAT and import duty it still looks a good buy. For slimline scales they want an extra 15USD per scale. I guess on my CENTEC 2B mill  I will need slim ones. Has anybody out there fitted DRO to a CENTEC?
Scrooby, 1 mile south of Gods own County.

Offline Davo J

Re: Digital Read Out from Singapore
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 07:24:20 AM »
I can't answer about your mill, but a lot of guy on different forums have bought off him and are happy. I remember one member had his turn up with a broken scale which was quickly replaced, but that could have been the US post service.

Dave

Offline AndreasL

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 08:36:48 AM »
Got mine for the lathe from http://thedrostore.com/.

Looks as the same hardware but different badge.

Mine was also delivered from Singapore by FedEx. Took a couple of days only.  :thumbup:

All that was stated in the sales site was true and the installation turned out really well. (They supply a wast of screws, washers, brackets etc etc)

And even if the lathe probaby would benefit from some TLC and alinement, the bits we making pop out suprisingly true.

Initially I hade some questions before transfering my money. The answers was sent quickly and made sence so I went for the deal and have never reget it since. An absolute MUST have!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 10:00:11 AM by AndreasL »

Offline Jonny

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 04:07:31 PM »
Been through this twice in 7 years. Where ever you buy from get everything from the same place. ie scales, readout and covers.

Theres no mention of covers or what the scales are on the bay.

Taking Allendale at £100 a Sino scale and full whack £156 for the easier to use 3 axis readout, thats around £450.
http://www.machine-dro.co.uk/index.php?target=categories&category_id=3
They do several smaller scales and also the magnetic which take up no room.

The bay ones £334 you could get copped for additional charges excluding the import duty and vat. Fedex, UPS, Parcel Force have their own Customs, face value 25% region taking it to £420+  Is it worth it.

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 08:05:06 PM »
Good point, Johnny.  And Hoddesdon's not far from where my sister lives...
Hmm...

Offline Anzaniste

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 04:44:12 AM »
After much dithering about I decided to go for it. My decision was influenced by the very good response I to all my emails to Singapore. The two boxes arrive the day before I started my three week holiday so all I did was open the packages to check the contents and everything appeared to be there. The scales have covers on them and I paid a little extra to have slimline scales.
Both boxes had been opened and had been resealed with stickey tape that sais "Opened by HMG" or words to that effect. More importantly I have so far not recieved a demand for any duty or VAT. Maybe it will be waiting on the door mat when I get back home.
Watch this space.

Offline j_e_f_f_williams

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 06:53:32 PM »
Hello,

I recently purchased 2 such DROs, one 3-axis for the mill and a 2-axis for the lathe.  It showed up 6 business days later to Canada.  I think it's the same seller and I was very happy with the interaction.
     The mill install on X & Y was easy enough.  The Z I am going to do the knee so I have yet to finish that yet.  On the lathe finding a place for the micro-scale was tough on the cross slide of my Colchester 13x36 but I got it to work.  I am in the middle of some maintenance on mill & lathe but once done I plan on measuring as best I can the travel and comparing it to the DRO to enter compensation numbers but at the moment out of the box the DRO matches the dials so I am no worse off and I don't have to loose count as often.

For hobby use I would say the price and functionality is right.  A friend has the new Newall DRO with round shaft instead of glass scales and my DRO isn't as nice looking and the build quality (or manual quality!) isn't there but then again both my machines cost me 1/3 of his one Newall DRO on the mill.

TTY, jeff

Offline Anzaniste

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 11:19:45 AM »
Jeff, Thanks for the encouraging news.

Offline Jonny

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 06:45:47 PM »
Who actually delivered the DRO?
Think it was two weeks after receipt i got copped with the bill so be prepared. If not treat as a bonus.

Will have to sort something out on lathe Y axis really bugs me, you have to half the dimension of cut taken. Since mines the magnetic type it may be just a case of a change of magnetic strip. If do it off the readout it will throw the other two X and Z tailstock out by half, fine on mills.

Offline d-m

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 12:44:52 PM »
I have a 2 axes on my Cincinnati mill its well made and worth every penny go for it you wont be disappointed
Dave 
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.
Mario Andretti

Offline Anzaniste

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 04:10:13 PM »
when I get backnfrom holiday in a couple of weeks I will know if I am in the clear.