Author Topic: Edge Technology tram tool  (Read 14651 times)

Offline j45on

• My tiny workshop Location Ashford Kent
Edge Technology tram tool
« on: March 24, 2011, 04:02:10 PM »
Not having the skills yet to build one of bog's tram tools and also unsure about the accuracy of my machines I decided to splash out on a pro tram from
http://www.edgetechnologyproducts.com/pro-tram-system.html

Bought from ebay and cost 89 quid with postage and import costs from the USA.

Nicely machined unit with large clear dials
Obviously to big for a mini mill but I shouldn't need another one if I get a bigger mill in the future.

As you can see though my mill needs some attention.

Jason

Offline j45on

Re: Edge Technology tram tool
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 04:46:52 PM »
I have not done any fly cutting yet but I have noticed a lot of vibration when drilling which leads me to believe the head might not be square to the column
so next on my list is to check that.
Jason

tumutbound

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 01:46:09 AM »
I've been tempted to make a tramming tool as covered in this excellent thread from bogstandard but this one looks good, and is affordable.
I guess in this situation, the lack of  metric indicators isn't a problem.

Was postage expensive? There doesn't seem to be any mention of shipping methods short of actually going through the checkout process.

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 02:07:28 AM »
When I first showed my home made tramming tool on the net, there were flaming crosses and death threats (just joking of course) because it bucked the trend of bits of bent rod and rubber necks with mirrors.

I was only showing a version that I had seen a chappie knock up many years ago to help him set up quicker in the production environment that he worked in.

Now a couple or so years on, where they have been shown commercially, it seems like that everyone and his dog wants to get hold of one.

I will just say one thing, they make tramming your mill a joy to do rather than a PITA.

Bogs
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline j45on

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 02:24:13 PM »
Was postage expensive? There doesn't seem to be any mention of shipping methods short of actually going through the checkout process.

Tumutbound I bought mine from edge through their ebay page as it is the same company I guess the postage costs would be similar or the same
Currently on ebay the pro tram is roughly $88 AUD and shipping is roughly $23 AUD plus your import duty / tax I'm not sure what you have ?
I had to pay vat of £19.20

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260746964584&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com.au%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp3907.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D260746964584%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1#ht_3562wt_907
Jason

tumutbound

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 10:29:03 PM »
j45on,
Thanks for that, I didn't realise they had an eBay page. I sent email directly to edge and they confirmed that postage was ~$US25.
No import duties or GST payable.

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 08:22:46 AM »
No import duties or GST payable.
You'd have to pay the import duties, etc. at your end after it arrives.

Offline Davo J

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 09:03:15 AM »
There are no duties or GST in Aus for anything under $1000. A big chain store recently tried to have it changed down to $400 but it was thrown out.
I have bought plenty of gear up around $500 - $800 from overseas and never had anything added.

Dave

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 09:21:22 AM »
Nice! I guess that's a relief considering you have enough hassle/expense getting the stuff to Aus in the first place.

Offline JimM

• Chessington, Surrey
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 03:52:01 PM »
There are no duties or GST in Aus for anything under $1000. A big chain store recently tried to have it changed down to $400 but it was thrown out.
I have bought plenty of gear up around $500 - $800 from overseas and never had anything added.

Dave

Lucky sods, over here we get a whopping £18 (Aus $28) allowance and not only do you have to pay the VAT and import duty on anything over that but you also have to pay the post office to collect the fees from you as well !

Offline j45on

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 05:16:28 PM »
I was lucky this time I only paid VAT and post office fee
But other times I have been charged duty and VAT on the item and on the shipping as well  :(
Jason

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 08:04:27 AM »
Lucky sods, over here we get a whopping £18 (Aus $28) allowance and not only do you have to pay the VAT and import duty on anything over that but you also have to pay the post office to collect the fees from you as well !
Don't forget the VAT on the Post Office fee as well!

tumutbound

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 10:41:18 PM »
I ordered one last Monday and it arrived today. No customs duty or GST  :D

It might not get used for a while as I'm packing to move. I should be getting rid of stuff not acquiring it!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 11:42:48 PM by tumutbound »

PeeWee

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 12:21:25 PM »
Hi All,
just to say i picked one of these up hat M-DRO at Harogate yesterday and checked the mill out this afternoon.  works a treat and so easy to use, thanks for the heads up.  also no hassle with postage or duty.   :D

Offline kwackers

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 04:51:36 PM »
I picked one up from Harrogate too. I was going to make one like bog's but since I don't have time to make the things I want to make...

Checked the tramming on my mill and it's out by 2 thou in the Y...
Had a good look round at everything else and it all looked good, so I guess I'll have to remove the head and shim it up.