Author Topic: Pratt chuck spares  (Read 7012 times)

Offline yorkie_chris

Pratt chuck spares
« on: March 23, 2011, 07:28:36 PM »
Ey up folks,

The 6" 4 jaw that came with my lathe is a bit poorly

The square drive holes in the end of the screw threads have split from the corners out, meaning the screws drag and you can't adjust it precisely.

The markings on it say "the Pratt chuck" "made in England" and what looks like "AE 666".

Does anyone know if you can get these?

Cheers

Offline SemiSkilled

Re: Pratt chuck spares
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 07:47:58 PM »
You're right, it does look easy when its finished.

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 08:41:01 PM »
By coincidence, there is an article in the current issue of MEW (April 2011, no. 175) by a chap who had the same problem with a 4" Pratt-Bernerd. He made new screws from 1/2 x 1.25" Whit hex socket grubscrews, and a hex chuck key to operate them. He doesn't say where he sourced the grubscrews. Of course, your larger chuck may use a larger size of screw.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Jasonb

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 11:13:47 AM »
Rotagrip also do chucks and spares, just bought some soft jaws for my Warco chuck from them, very quick service

http://rotagriponline.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=33&Itemid=29

J

Offline mike os

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 11:20:07 AM »
600 group will probably want more than a new chuck & lathe per screw if past experience is anything to go on......
Political correctness is a doctrine,  ... which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end

Offline yorkie_chris

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 02:18:01 PM »
I rang them today, the guy said he'd have a look and get back to me "in a couple of hours", that was dinnertime...

Offline yorkie_chris

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 01:46:53 PM »
By coincidence, there is an article in the current issue of MEW (April 2011, no. 175) by a chap who had the same problem with a 4" Pratt-Bernerd. He made new screws from 1/2 x 1.25" Whit hex socket grubscrews, and a hex chuck key to operate them. He doesn't say where he sourced the grubscrews. Of course, your larger chuck may use a larger size of screw.

Andy

Can you get them in square section thread? Without it costing 4 squillion pounds...

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 05:29:31 PM »

Andy

Can you get them in square section thread? Without it costing 4 squillion pounds...

Doubt it, Chris, though I hope for your sake that someoene proves me wrong.

It seems the author of the article was lucky in that he only needed Whit threads.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline yorkie_chris

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 08:31:21 AM »
The screws are actually still made... found part numbers etc.

Over £40 each!