Author Topic: Coolant pump project  (Read 9182 times)

Offline maybecnc

Coolant pump project
« on: March 22, 2011, 05:50:05 PM »
Any hints for a coolant pump project? I have tried a couple of automotive windshield water pumps without that much success. As I have around the shop many small dc motors, thought that building a pump would be a good project. Any directions about pump design, materials and whatever else would be appreciated.

Jose
Latest project: Modifying chucks for front monting  http://www.toolsandmods.com/mini-lathe-chuck-backplate.html

MrFluffy

Re: Coolant pump project
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 05:17:42 AM »
I used an aquarium vane pump on my lathe. I thought the swarf would kill it early but it survived for years with just a piece of mesh covering the coolant sump to keep the big bits out.

Offline BK

• In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 05:55:02 PM »
Pond pump works for me.  :thumbup:
If it aint broke, don't fix it!

Offline yorkie_chris

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 02:35:59 PM »
An old points type fuel pump would probably do it too

Offline mhh

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 03:00:39 AM »
In my opinion making one yourself is the way to go!  :D Much funnier and more educational! I would suggest making a impeller pump and then attaching some kind of filter. try googling for impeller pumps or sending me an email, i think i have the drawings for one stille lying around.

Offline dickda1

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 02:48:25 PM »
So, I have a question.  I would like to use a coolant on my mill (and perhaps my lathe).  Used a mist cooler over the years, but don't like the noise associated with running my very large, old compressor.  Are any of you running a coolant mixture (rather than just water)?  I have some concern about running  a mixture that contains some petroleum base against a plastic or rubber diaphragm in the pump.  Water pumps in a car for example use an elastomer that contains fluoride to prevent hardening and eventual cracking.

-Dick (former plastics chemist long ago)
sunny (mostly) San Francisco, land of looney people, sane politics and occasional earthquakes.

Offline David Morrow

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 02:09:10 AM »

Offline mike os

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 04:43:09 AM »
coolant pumps are about £100..... one off, sorted, know it works every time, is it worth the effort?
Political correctness is a doctrine,  ... which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 06:20:32 AM »
I used wash machine purge pump (the one that pumps used water into sewer...) it worked, but I gave up on this one.
* My first coolant system I didn't realize plumming was that important. Tray was way too big (it still is) not enough list -> needs a large volume of coolant
* This motor was split phase = cheap to mfg. but can be used only intermitent duty = fine for saw with my use, but not much use on lathe or milling machine.
* Resorted to a total loss system with only manual dripfeed = fine for band saw and I only mix 0.5 litres of coolant at a time.

Now....I have a resipocating pump from espressomachine. It says 15 bars max. pressure and a little volume. Wish I would know if seals would take any cutting oil or coolant. I'm thinking of trough cooled small drills :scratch:

Pekka

Offline loply

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 08:31:46 AM »
Call me silly here but do you really need a pump for coolant?

Why not simply stick a 2.5L former bottle of Coke on a hook and hang it on your wall, use a 5mm ID see-through pipe to carry the coolant and pop a plastic valve on the end of the tube?

Make the tubing long enough that it can reach various bits of equipment as required, open the valve the required amount and out comes your coolant...

If you hang the bottle at roof height the coolant will have enough pressure to flow downwards to one of those magnetic stand things with adjustable arms then back upwards against gravity through the arms, I would imagine...?

Rich