Author Topic: Warco machines?  (Read 21762 times)

Offline Rick448

Warco machines?
« on: March 18, 2011, 12:37:47 PM »
Has anyone got experience of Warco lathes and milling machines?

Any views would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Jasonb

Re: Warco machines?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 12:56:13 PM »
I've had a WM280 VF for about 2 1/2" years and am very happy with it.

Jason

Offline Rick448

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 01:13:09 PM »
Sorry to be dumb but what is that? I cant see it on their site.

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 02:07:01 PM »
I bought a Warco WM180 lathe four years ago. Its work envelope is no larger than a "7x12 Mini-lathe" but it is somewhat sturdier. I have been pretty happy with it. But, like many budget Chinese machines, it has no back gear to provide the low speed and high torque which are useful for turning large diameters and for screwcutting, but .

Some further details at http://andysmachines.weebly.com/ and http://andysmachines.weebly.com/introduction.html .

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Jasonb

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 02:31:09 PM »
It be this one

Specs a bit wrong on teh data sheet but OK on the link, its 50-1950rpm, MT3 tailstock, cam lever tailstock locking

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 02:37:58 PM »
Some clever mod there Andy   :clap:
Bill

Offline wheeltapper

• Spixworth Norfolk
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 03:45:08 PM »
Not totally related but I got a mini bandsaw from Warco, the first one leaked oil from the gearbox all over the floor.

they replaced that and the next one kept shattering the guide bearings until I discovered that the bearing pivot bolt holes had been drilled out of square and the saw blade was trying to go through a gap a quarter of its thickness.

finally got a replacement guide head and NOW it works OK but what a hassle to get there.

so as for me, Warco?  never again.

Roy
I used to be confused, now I just don't know.

Offline picclock

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 05:00:16 PM »
Purchased a mill from them (WM14) which I am very happy with despite having motor issues covered under warranty. Made by Weiss Machines its is a lot better build quality than some of the alternatives.

However, on the strength of that purchased a used bandsaw, which was incorrectly wired, and had it been connected to an unearthed supply would have shocked me as the machine body had been connected via a motor winding to live mains - truly a killer.

So, would I buy a new machine from them again ? Quite possibly. Would I buy a used machine from them again ?  NEVER .. .

If your based near Guildford, Surrey they have a reasonable showroom with a lot of machines set up. Sometimes you can get demo machines from them at shows for good rates.

Best Regards

picclock

Engaged in the art of turning large pieces of useful material into ever smaller pieces of (s)crap. (Ferndown, Dorset)

Offline jim

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 01:58:46 AM »
I bought a Warco WM180 lathe four years ago. Its work envelope is no larger than a "7x12 Mini-lathe" but it is somewhat sturdier. I have been pretty happy with it. But, like many budget Chinese machines, it has no back gear to provide the low speed and high torque which are useful for turning large diameters and for screwcutting, but .

Some further details at http://andysmachines.weebly.com/ and http://andysmachines.weebly.com/introduction.html .

Andy

the advice given on buying a lathe has proved to very good reading, thank you!
if i'd thought it through, i'd have never tried it

Offline udimet

• Dean Smith and Grace the worlds finest.
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 02:35:51 PM »
My small lathe is a Warco GH750 which I bought new from Warco in either 2000 or 2001 and really, it has been a fantastic lathe, in fact it was only a few months ago that I had my first breakdown [the bulb on the halogen light went] but it is still performing every bit as well today as it was when new.  The only thing that I did when I took delivery of the lathe was, I removed the 240v single phase motor and replaced it with a 240v three phase Siemens 3 Hp unit driven from a Eurotherm 650 vfd [superb drives by the way, and now made by Parker SSD] I can't comment on any of their other products, only on my particular machine which is still faultless.  My larger lathe is a Dean Smith and Grace which is quite a bit bigger and costs a fortune in electric when I get the bil it's :jaw:
                                                                                                                              Regards,
                                                                                                                              Udimet.

Offline udimet

• Dean Smith and Grace the worlds finest.
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 02:38:25 PM »
Incidentally, The Warco GH750 is the same as the Chester Cub630.
                                                                                                        Udimet.

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 08:49:22 AM »
The only problem I've had with Warco was getting an answer to initial e-mails.  Though once they've responded, they provide good service.

Would I deal with them again? Probably - If they have what I'm after at a reasonable price.

Offline Rick448

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 02:17:24 PM »
I'm going to have to think about this, the more i look into it the more i wonder which route to go down!

Thanks everyone.

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 05:42:33 PM »
I bought their CY90 bandsaw some years back.....Nice machine

A few years later, they sell the same bandsaw with a stand!

I ordered a stand which finally arrived after a few phone calls...

But it was mins a few bits!

A few emails and fone calls later, a few weeks later even, the missing bits arrived....

I've just ordered a big milling machine.....but not from Warco...too dear I'm afraid.. :coffee:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline coalburner

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 10:35:12 AM »
I have a GH1330 from Warco which replaced my WMT300. The GH1330 was an ex demo machine purchased after one of their open days.
I have had several machines from Warco over  few years and can honestly say that their support and service is very good. I have no complaints about any of the machines I have had from them and would certainly go back for another machine should the need arise.

regards

Graeme

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2011, 11:22:23 AM »
Ive had an X1 mill from them and good service after 3 yearsjust sold it  also a 12" box bender and a pillar drill  there wm14 mill looks tasty lots of extras on it taper jibs steel gears 500w motor but small bed.

peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure