Author Topic: CNC Tool Changer (sort of)  (Read 7272 times)

Offline sparky961

CNC Tool Changer (sort of)
« on: March 02, 2011, 12:22:48 AM »
For those of you that have a minimal CNC lathe, consider this setup next time you need to make a number of parts "production style".

I was making 60 of these:

Before you start, think about the length of the tools and the clearance required.  This will make more sense after seeing some of the pictures.  If you aren't careful here, you'll run a tool into the chuck!

The sequence that I was working with, from memory as this was a year or more ago now, was: rough drill 3/4" dia to hog out some material, peck drill to depth with 1/4" centre-cutting ballnose end mill, drill through remainder 3/32" dia, then cut the contoured profile in a few roughing and finishing steps with a very small boring bar.  It worked out very well and the parts that were produced are still in use today!

Start by mounting a long chunk of alumimum at the centre height of the lathe, and securely chuck a drill or centre-cutting endmill the same size as the tool shank you'll be using.  If you line it up perpendicular to the lathe axis with a dial indicator, you'll be able to repeat the set up at some point in the future.

Drill a hole for each tool in the sequence, remembering again to think ahead!  Drill and tap a hole in the top for a setscrew or bolt - it doesn't need to look pretty, it needs to work!

Mount all of your tools, set up some tool offsets, and go to it! (I know, I make it sound so easy...)

This is, perhaps, one advantage (the only one?) of the "3-in-one" machine.  The larger table and extended travel compared to a regular lathe allow for some creative setups on the lathe.

-Sparky

Offline kvom

Re: CNC Tool Changer (sort of)
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 07:51:41 AM »
You've re-invented the gang tool lathe.  Nice setup.  It also works with turning tools.

Offline Blade

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 03:33:24 PM »
Great post! I have seen some cnc lathes with this setup, hadn't thought about it for a manual lathe, great idea!

Offline gingerneer

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 06:16:22 PM »
That's a neat idea :thumbup:. A CNC lathe is on my list, one of the things puzzling me was a tool changer. I guess that its not just the size of the chuck you need to watch for, but also the depth and diameter of job to be machined.   
Will

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 09:31:08 PM »
Good idea Sparky. I have used this in the past... works wonders.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.