Author Topic: Gear Head  (Read 7429 times)

Offline sparky961

Gear Head
« on: March 01, 2011, 10:52:59 PM »
After about 3 weekends, I finished this little project.  It was my first attempt at machining something quite small and detailed, and I'm extremely happy with the results.

This is a worm drive gear head, similar to those found on guitars.  I have another project that I wanted to make this for in order to test out some theories, not to mention making some chips!

All of these parts were made on a B2229 3-in-one milling machine.  I'm finally beginning to overcome some of the machine's limitations through some forethought and creative setups.  Though I didn't take any pictures during machining, I'd be happy to explain any of the steps if anyone would like to know.

Call it cheating or being clever, but the worm is actually a section of 1/4" or 5/16" (can't recall right now) lag bolt.  I scrapped the first two that I tried because I was clamping on the threads - yes kids, there is a good reason why this is not recommended.  I had success after clamping the head in the chuck, aligning it concentric, and taking VERY LIGHT plunge cuts with a parting tool.

SolidWorks model attached

-Sparky

Offline jamoni

Re: Gear Head
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 11:58:46 PM »
Nice!  Would the larger project be a dividing head, by any chance?

Offline Blade

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 03:39:20 PM »
That is cool, you could make a sweet little rotary table like that using some larger screws.

Offline sparky961

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 11:17:32 PM »
Since I have had a rotary table ever since I've had the mill/lathe, a dividing head has never been one of the MANY, MANY things on my wish list.

The larger project actually uses it to tension a wire in the same fashion as a guitar string is tightened with a gear head.

Not sure if this constitutes hijacking my own thread, but I'll add that if anyone can suggest a very simple way to fasten and put considerable tension on music wire, I would be most appreciative.  So far my ideas have been fairly complex to make, like this one.

Thanks, gents.

-Sparky

Offline Blade

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 03:44:54 PM »
The rachet pawl is similar to what you have and may not be any easier to make, the other two are simple and available comercially. Found those with a google search.

Offline jamoni

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 08:23:19 PM »
Hmm.  I've used vice grips.  You clamp on to the wire, then roll the rounded back edge over something solid, as a lever.

Offline sparky961

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 09:39:03 PM »
Blade:

I had considered the binder and the ratchet too.  They're not out of the running yet, but for some reason I can't remember right now I had gone with the worm drive.

I was immediately taken by the simplicity of that last one.  I like it - a lot.  I'm going to have to think how I could incorporate it... but I like it - a lot. :)

Thanks,
-Sparky

Offline foozer

• Camano Island WA
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 11:53:52 PM »
Strainrite XT1 Ratchets for field fencing maybe. Used em to suck up the stretch after the horse gets done rubbing his rear on the fencing, cheap and easy.

Robert

Ignorance is Bliss, thus I aim for Perfection

Offline Blade

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 02:30:47 PM »
Strainrite XT1 Ratchets for field fencing maybe. Used em to suck up the stretch after the horse gets done rubbing his rear on the fencing, cheap and easy.

Robert

Need to get some of those, some of our fences look like hamocks right now. Those were what gave me the idea of the rachet pawl.

MrFluffy

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 05:15:53 PM »
Wow, they look slick.
We have these everywhere here, the cam and pawl is formed by the centre spindle and the cutouts in the housing rather than having moving parts and springs and things, and despite being cheap and made to a price, they do work really well. To defeat them you force the spindle back out the grove and it slips 90deg. Not for fine adjustment but great for coarse.