Author Topic: Hello from Mexico city  (Read 3412 times)

Offline Kinkajou

Hello from Mexico city
« on: February 21, 2011, 04:25:08 PM »
Hello, let me introduce myself:
My name is Roberto, I live in México city.
Surfing the net I found this incredible place and found myself astonsihed of all of the work you are doing.
I thought that this forum was basically from people that have a comon interest of building and creating. But for all that I hve been reading I am sure that it is full of profesionals and very talented individuals.

I am Veterinarian and have a mixed practices , mainly small species , a little bit of exotic animals and I used to work with horses, but not so much now. I have a lot of hobbies mainly  sculpture, RC helicopters, Archery, Airguns and guns of any kind, motorcyle and car racing, photography and of course my profesion which is fortunately more of a passion than work.

For some time and because of my hobbies I like to create things and learn and applied all that combined knowledge. I usually model a part then make a mould and reproduce it in a reinforced plastic, usually polyesther or epoxy resin. I also make sometimes prototypes and inyection mold it using polyethylene, polypropylene , nylon, acetal and UHMWP. I am always trying out new materials.

Because of my practice ( mainly orthopaedic surgery) I found myself in the need to custom make implants and started shaping metals of all kinds but then I made the decision on learning about lathes and mills. Bought a Grizzly lathe mill combination machine and started to make chips.
I have read a lot, practiced some more , made a lot of mistakes and continue learning.
I hope to learn some more from all of you!

This machine is very basic but allows me to carry some of my proyects with some precision.
I usually use stainless steel 306 L, aluminum and for implants that will go inside the body it is usually Titanium 6AL4VELI.
It has been a difficult journey but it has been great to see some of the patients walk or fly again!

I find myself designing on the Macintosh ( using Vectorworks ) and then creating on the lathe the parts we need, but sometimes I find myself alone without guidance and no place to find info. :(
Can you believe I have not found out how a the allen head of a screw is made!!  I guess it is using some kind of a punch but no idea really.

Well, this is a little background on me and hope to fit in this interesting comunity.

I want to apologize for my English and please do not be very rude when I write something wrong but correct me if you can so I will not make the mistake again!

Best regards
Roberto

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
Re: Hello from Mexico city
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 04:59:11 PM »
Hola and welcome  :thumbup:

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 06:01:08 PM »
Hiya Roberto  :wave:

Welcome to the collective :borg:

No worries about your command of the English language. Our members will help... We have some other members whose 1st language is NOT English.

Implants? You make your own implants for animals?? Wow!  :thumbup:

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline j45on

• My tiny workshop Location Ashford Kent
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 06:06:49 PM »
Hi Roberto  :beer:

Jason

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 06:39:43 PM »
Roberto

Welcome to MadModder Roberto. It is nice to see someone with the passion for working with birds and animals such as you have described. I can imagine that at times it can be very frustrating  but at other times very satisfying. Your command of the English language is just fine, you will not have any problems. If you have any questions just ask as there is always someone around to answer or at least give an opinion. When you get the time we would be interested in learning more about some of the implants that you have made and the stories behind them. We look forward to your participation in the forum.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Ray

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 08:42:42 PM »
Welcome Roberto to the forum.
Ray
Waco, Texas