Author Topic: removing rubber coating from a steel shaft  (Read 4085 times)

Offline bigmini

removing rubber coating from a steel shaft
« on: February 10, 2011, 04:51:09 PM »
The cartridges for my laser printer have the heat roller built into them. Therefore when a cartridge is used up there is a precision ground and probably hardened 8mm shaft with stepped ends there for the taking :ddb:. There are also some matching brass (possibly bronze?) bushes.

Only problem is, the shaft is coated with a 1mm or so thick layer of rubber for most of it's length. Any ideas on how to remove this layer of rubber without marring the steel underneath? I thought about burning it off, but I don't want to  create yucky burnt rubber smells to annoy the neighbors or the Minister for Finance.

The rod itself has flat ends stepped down to about 4mm. I don't think it will take a centre drill (it appears to be hardened), so I will have to use the fixed steady to hold the end if I cut the rubber off in the lathe. If I try this, how would I grind the tool for this particular job? I have lots of 10mm and 8mm HSS and a bench grinder.

Offline Swarfing

Re: removing rubber coating from a steel shaft
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 04:57:00 PM »
I've had similar in the past and soaked it in thinners for day or so. depending on the foam it may melt or not but what it will do is attack the adhesive underneath.
Once in hole stop digging.

Offline dbvandy

Re: removing rubber coating from a steel shaft
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 10:49:56 PM »
brake fluid will probably attack the rubber and make it fall right off...  acetone will defiantly do it....

Doug
"if you can pay someone to do it, then you can do it... just might cost more and take longer."  ~Grandpa Vanderbilt