Author Topic: A very useful bit of kit  (Read 8252 times)

bogstandard

A very useful bit of kit
« on: November 17, 2008, 06:37:01 PM »
I am now going to introduce you machinists to one of the most underrated bits of kit you can buy. Some of you will have heard of one, some might have even seen one, but most have no idea how versatile this lump of metal can be.

Before I go on, just think of the scenario, making a few model engines, all with the same cylinder with an offset bore. What a PITA setting up the four jaw every time just to bore the thru holes. Say you have got a long throw crank to make, and your four jaw can't give you enough offset, what do you do?

I will now show you the infamous bit of kit.

THE KEATS ANGLE PLATE.

I will just explain a little about the two castings. The big one wiv the big 'oles is ground with the baseplate and v-groove at perfect right angles. The smaller gripper casting is also ground up square, but is slightly narrower top to bottom than the main casting, this ensures that the main casting is used as the datum faces and the gripper plays no other role than clamping the part.

This first pic shows the plate set up for holding large bits, if you used longer bolts, it could hold up to 3.5" diameter.

Here it is with the grip plate turned around for holding small stuff.

Now for all you lathe owners, this bit on your shelf or in the cupboard, covered with 1/2" of crap piled up on it is actually called a faceplate, and yes, it does fit onto your spindle nose, and yes again, it does have a use other than gathering dust.
This one is mine, and if you look at the red markings on it, it is about to be drilled, then the Keats angle plate will be bolted to it, and it will transform your four jaw PITA work into something a little more civilised and less painful. If your faceplate is smaller, you might even find that the holes line up with the originals.

As you can see, I haven't drilled it yet (and won't do for a few more days yet, but I have put the plate on to show the normal operating range of your 4 jaw. So how is it better than the 4 jaw?
Once you have set up the initial job in the V's, and gently tapped the plate into the correct position, then done a white knuckle job on the holding bolts, you can just slacken the gripper and drop another piece in, tighten up and machine it exactly the same as the first. If you used a 4 jaw, once you slacken one of the jaws, you are forced to set the next piece up, just like the first one you did.

I am sure I know which one I prefer to use.

Here it is shown with a lot more offset if needed.

And if you are really brave (or stupid) and have enough clearance for a big swing, rather large offsets can be obtained.
I must add now, with any faceplate work, using a large offset you should really balance things out by clamping a weight, roughly the weight of the keats plate and workpiece directly opposite on the faceplate, just to balance things out. Otherwise things start to get out of hand very quickly.

Here is a shot of it holding a bit of 1" brass gold.

But there is even more talent this lump of ground up cast iron can show you, look at the next pic.

It doubles up as a very versatile clamp for holding things truly vertical on the mill.

I am not saying this item is the be all and end all to your offset machining, but it sure goes a long way, at about 30 squid incl P&P in the UK it has to be a good investment.

Go towards the bottom of the page and you will find it.

http://rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/MYFORD_LATHE_USERS_NEW1.html

The usual disclaimers apply.

John

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: A very useful bit of kit
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 06:44:52 PM »
John,

That is great! I have a face plate I have started to make a tool similar to that. One day I may finish it.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 09:14:12 PM »
Very cool, now I know were Riker got his idea for the Riker clamp. have to hunt up the plans to make sure but is does look like it.
glen
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 09:24:10 PM »
Very cool, now I know were Riker got his idea for the Riker clamp. have to hunt up the plans to make sure but is does look like it.
glen

Riker clamp? What is a Riker clamp?

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 04:28:49 AM »
Thanks John, nice write up.  Best I keep an eye open for a faceplate for the Boxford.

CC

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 08:22:56 AM »

Is the advert from the back of his book on building a steam tug RC Buffalo pup a tug based on a real 45footer army tug sort of a free lance job as the real one was diesel and and the deck fittings fit his style.

Johns version is better as it looks to be more use full with the clamping parts designs.
 I didn't include the contact info as it has been a number of years since he was at a show I have attend and have no knowledge of his current state. As he was up there then.
glen

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen

bogstandard

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 10:18:30 AM »
Glen,

Bill has now gone to a better place, but his widow still carries on his selling of plans.

http://www.billreichart.com/engines.shtml

Phyllis his widow is very pleasant to deal with, and with a bit of pushing will send plans by email rather than snail.

John

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 10:35:53 AM »
Cool, thanks for the link. and to think that the last time I saw them here in Detroit, she was the one feeling poorly. I will add the link when I do the review on the Buffalo Pup Steam Tug.

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 10:53:20 AM »
Nice info there Bog's. :thumbup:

The use of a faceplate is almost endless. You could add an aluminum sacrificial plate or a fixture plate if doing quanities of parts.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Tinkering_Guy

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 02:55:37 PM »
I was looking at making one of these from scratch, and laying out the design.  I thought I'd share one of the results here, for anyone else thinking of doing likewise.  It's useful in other circumstances, too.

Given pics #6 and #7 in the original post, in which the clamp is inverted, there's a limit to how small a piece can be held.  It's directly related to the width of the flat across the top of the clamp.  The smallest round that can be held is an inscribed circle as shown in the attached image.  To calculate how wide the flat (h) should be for a given diameter round, use h = d (1 + √2).  Plugging in a d of 0.0625, h is 0.151.  So a flat of 1/8" (0.125") would be sufficient to hold a 1/16" (0.0625") round.  It could actually hold a round as small as 0.052", though that's probably pushing it a bit.  :dremel:
Tinkering_Guy
Hobbyist machinist, electron-pusher, software dude, and experimental chemist

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 09:59:51 PM »
I have a face plate machined up to make something like this but I got stalled out. I would like to get it going again... count me as help/backup to get this done

Eric
Science is fun.