Author Topic: Wiring AC motor(USA standards)  (Read 12921 times)

Offline cuog

Wiring AC motor(USA standards)
« on: February 08, 2011, 05:37:51 PM »
So the UPS guy decided to send me my motor before my lathe.  I guess I'll get a jump start and wire up the motor, however there seems to be very little info out there on this.  (or more likely I am missing a useful keyword)

Anyway I've got my 3 prong cord, hot neutral, and ground, I've got ground all squared away with my switch on the hot side.  Now my motor needs me to connect "ungrounded line" and "line" 

From what I've found it looks like hot(black)[switched] would go to ungrounded line, while "line" would be connected to neutral(white)[unswitched].

Have I got this right?  This is only my second time working with mains power(a few weeks ago my grandfather showed me how to wire up an outlet), so I'd like to get some confirmation before moving ahead. 

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

Re: Wiring AC motor(USA standards)
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 11:08:19 AM »
So the UPS guy decided to send me my motor before my lathe.  I guess I'll get a jump start and wire up the motor, however there seems to be very little info out there on this.  (or more likely I am missing a useful keyword)

Anyway I've got my 3 prong cord, hot neutral, and ground, I've got ground all squared away with my switch on the hot side.  Now my motor needs me to connect "ungrounded line" and "line" 

From what I've found it looks like hot(black)[switched] would go to ungrounded line, while "line" would be connected to neutral(white)[unswitched].

Have I got this right?  This is only my second time working with mains power(a few weeks ago my grandfather showed me how to wire up an outlet), so I'd like to get some confirmation before moving ahead.

I am assuming here that you have a single-phase capacitor-start induction motor.  The wiring diagrams are usually printed on the inside of the cover where the wires go into the motor (hint).  If the motor is reversible (spin-direction-wise), then screwing up which power lead (as opposed to the ground lead) to connect to which terminal will only mean that your motor will turn in the "wrong" direction.  If you have it wrong, then wait for it to stop spinning, turn off the power, and swap the leads.

WARNING: There are (usually identified as "compressor") motors out there that will ONLY spin in one direction.  They -CAN- (but not necessarily WILL) make a very deep hum, heat up very quickly, and draw huge amounts of current when powered up with swapped leads.   IF your motor spins freely by hand (turning the end of the shaft -- which it should) yet does NOT start spinning very shortly after power is applied, SHUT IT DOWN IMMEDIATELY.

Electrical devices run on "magic smoke."  If you let any of it escape, the magic is gone and it will no longer work.  Try to not let any of the magic smoke escape!

Offline foozer

• Camano Island WA
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 11:14:22 AM »
Only thing I 'member bout this type of wiring is Black to Brass. Standard 110V wall plug should have a brass, silver and green screw setup. I put the black wire to the brass, white to the silver and ground to the green. Also use the 20 amp rated plug, few bucks more but, no let the smoke out.

Robert
Ignorance is Bliss, thus I aim for Perfection

Offline cuog

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 11:54:09 AM »
The motor has a wiring diagram on it, it has no capacitors.  Single phase reversible.  There is an internal black and red wire to switch location to get forward/reverse.  After that it has two terminals for mains power.  I wired black(hot) to the "ungrounded line" and the white(neutral) to the "line" and it didn't zap me, and hums along very quietly, so I think I've got it right.  Needless to say, I was a bit nervous when I plugged it in the first time.  :zap: