Author Topic: Getting started  (Read 4212 times)

Offline cuog

Getting started
« on: February 07, 2011, 06:40:41 PM »
Hi,

I'm not big on posting, I'm more of a lurker, but I thought I should say hi the those whose posts I've been reading for the past few weeks. 

I'm starting up a miniature shop for myself right now.  I decided to go with the Taig line of benchtop machines since I have very little space in my apartment for a shop, and only a modest amount of money to invest in machining.  After reading on here, I've gotten a lot of ideas for new projects once I have my machines. 

I've mostly worked with powersports: classic cars, motorcycles.  Lately I've been involved in moped work since its fun to make slow things fast.  Along with my research I've come across the custom fabrication of tools, and that bug has really bit me as I enjoy very much making useful things.  I've also done some work in amateur robotics while I was in high school participating with FIRST, and I now mentor a local high school team, and would like to bring machining abilities into the design and manufacture. 

I have several pages of ideas and designs now that I want to build, including QCTP for my great grandfather's old southbend which has lost some pieces while traveling down my family tree, a micro drill press, and some model engines.  I've also looked at some posts about lineshaft shops which has given me the idea to build a self contained shop that uses an 8'x2' workbench with a hit and miss engine powering a lineshaft to run a lathe, mill, and grinder.  Maybe make some LED flashlights, and of course fix all the things that break. :(

So it looks like I have a lot to do just time and money permitting...

And waiting on UPS go get here with my lathe which is now a day later than expected  :poke:

Offline j45on

• My tiny workshop Location Ashford Kent
Re: Getting started
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 07:03:21 PM »
Welcome Cuog  :beer:
Jason

Offline cuog

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 07:23:49 PM »
Welcome.  I've seen some incredibly detailed work come off of taig equipment.  Largely it comes down to how you apply it and how dedicated to finishing things you are.   Sooo, it's all on you!  <tee hee>   However, we'd love to see / share some pictures along the journey and offer help / support where we can...  Again, welcome.   :wave:

Thanks, I'm reading through your build thread right now, and I would love to bring my work up to the level you're working right now(though in miniature due to space constraints).
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 08:24:07 PM by cuog »

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 07:48:11 PM »
Hiya cuog  :wave:

Welcome to the collective :borg:

Sounds like you got a decent project list. Know you said you are a lurker, but think about becoming a poster. Get involved, post build threads etc... you will get a lot of help and may be able to help someone else out.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline cuog

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 08:25:21 PM »
Hiya cuog  :wave:

Welcome to the collective :borg:

Sounds like you got a decent project list. Know you said you are a lurker, but think about becoming a poster. Get involved, post build threads etc... you will get a lot of help and may be able to help someone else out.

Eric

I will try to post more of my projects, assuming I think to take photos as I go.  I'm sure I will remember when setting up my lathe in the next few days to post it. 

Offline krv3000

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 03:54:17 PM »
hi jump in and have fun

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 04:11:33 PM »
Hi and welcome.  :wave:

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 08:20:37 PM »
The hard thing to accept is that you are already at my level.  Sure I've been doing this for 25yrs but in reality, anyone who has the drive to design and build things is on a level playing field.  There may be tricks of the trade that I've picked up over the years that let me do something faster, or processes that allow for different surface finishes or part holding techniques, however, all of these are things that anyone can learn to do, and very likely can learn to do better.  As long as you've got the gumption to stick to it, then you can build pretty much whatever you want, and I encourage you to do so.

Right on Kenneth! Excellent post.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 08:40:39 AM »
Hello, I`m relatively new to this as well, only a couple years with my machines with no experience from elsewhere. - I`ve had a taig: http://www.raynerd.co.uk/?p=301    and then sold it. I missed it, so I purchased another recently and I need to put it all together when I get some time.
They are excellent machines with many websites dedicated to them. I really enjoy reading Deans website several times a week - he uses a taig often in his work:
 http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html 

There is also John Shadles site where he uses a taig for a clock build - amazing stuff as well :
http://onlineclockbuilding.com/

Enjoy using your machines and post your projects!

Chris