Author Topic: Got myself a mill Tom Senior M1  (Read 15664 times)

Offline Graz

Got myself a mill Tom Senior M1
« on: February 02, 2011, 11:24:16 AM »
Picking it up on Friday Tom Senior M1 horizontal/ vertical got some tooling with it including a slotting head, Its got power feed too :) Anyone got one of these mills is it possible to fit DRO's can't afford to spend a lot but would be nice to have them.
Any info would be welcome.

Offline 75Plus

Re: Got myself a mill Tom Senior M1
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 12:07:38 PM »
There is a bit of info on your mill here:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/senior/index.html

Joe

Offline Graz

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 01:50:41 PM »

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 07:52:01 PM »
Joe, there's a Yahoo group of Tom Senior devotees here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tom_senior/?yguid=290138148

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Jonny

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 10:38:14 AM »
Used to have one at last place worked, ok if you dont mind waiting an eternity or can do two jobs at once.

Dead simple to fit 3 axis dro on, the hardest would be on the front in X axis with T slot, bed stops, auto x feed stops in the way.
Glass scales only for Y and Z!

Offline Graz

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 12:51:27 PM »
Thanks for the replies and links guys.
Got the miller back last night looks in good nick it came out of a university science department so hasn't done much work. Just need to work out how to get it into the garage now  :scratch:
I have an inverter with variable speed to drive the 3 ph motor, the belt is missing to the power feed but should be able to get one local. Once i get it installed I'll give it a run then come back and ask some stoopid questions lol

Offline Graz

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 01:46:46 PM »

Offline Graz

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 01:50:34 PM »

Offline Graz

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 01:54:42 PM »
Got the machine wired up through the inverter today, first question as you look at the cutting tool it's going clockwise is that the right way?
Anyone know what size the belt is for the table drive?

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 04:10:27 PM »
If you are looking down on the tool from the top (from the shank end) most end mills and drills (not all but most) are designed to cut while spinning counter clockwise.

Actually they cut much better if they go clockwise when viewed from the top.
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline Graz

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 04:43:30 PM »
If you are looking down on the tool from the top (from the shank end) most end mills and drills (not all but most) are designed to cut while spinning counter clockwise.

Actually they cut much better if they go clockwise when viewed from the top.
Thanks for the replies, So it turns the same way as if you were drilling.

I'm looking into fitting DRO's and thinking I might as well fit 3 axis if I'm going down this route,  any thoughts?

Been looking at this company http://www.machine-dro.co.uk/index.php?target=products&product_id=112
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 04:45:07 PM by Graz »

Offline Graz

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 05:00:27 PM »
If you are looking down on the tool from the top (from the shank end) most end mills and drills (not all but most) are designed to cut while spinning counter clockwise.  :wave:

Sorry about that, complete retraction on my part, guess I don't know which way the clock goes around.  Yes, they should go clockwise.   Please forgive, it is never my intent to give out bad information...
That's ok I confuse myself at times lol.

Just had a quick play with the mill today seems to run and cut fine, It's in very good condition came out of a science department of a university, could do with a good de greasing.

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 12:06:46 PM »
Hi Graz, I've never seen one of those before, but it looks like a fine well built machine, and in good shape too.  I think you'll be much happier with DRO on it, I know it made all the difference in my use of my mill, once I got it put on.  I used dial indicators for a while, and then adapted a couple of digital calipers, and got 12 inchs of "x" axis, but once I got the DRO, all of the sudden my PCDs, or bolt circles for us colonists, started coming out right on the money, and without weird problems.  Nothing like adding a vertical mill to one's tooling, and having the horizontal too is at least good for the occasional gear cutting, if not more.  Very nice looking, hope to see some column on attaching the DRO, the cleanup, and making its first chips in your hands. :headbang: mad jack

Offline Graz

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 10:33:32 AM »
Hi Graz, I've never seen one of those before, but it looks like a fine well built machine, and in good shape too.  I think you'll be much happier with DRO on it, I know it made all the difference in my use of my mill, once I got it put on.  I used dial indicators for a while, and then adapted a couple of digital calipers, and got 12 inchs of "x" axis, but once I got the DRO, all of the sudden my PCDs, or bolt circles for us colonists, started coming out right on the money, and without weird problems.  Nothing like adding a vertical mill to one's tooling, and having the horizontal too is at least good for the occasional gear cutting, if not more.  Very nice looking, hope to see some column on attaching the DRO, the cleanup, and making its first chips in your hands. :headbang: mad jack
Hi Madjack, yes it's a well made mill one just made £3,400 on ebay with no DRO's  :bugeye:
I got a slotting head with mine not worked out how it fits yet, all in good time.
Can't wait to get DRO's fitted, still doing research on them.

Offline tonybraz

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 05:15:53 PM »
 I have fitted a 6" riser under my Tom Senior so not to stoop when using it, I will follow with intrest fitting the DRO

Tony

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 07:39:14 AM »
They are supposed to be a great machine  :thumbup:

Offline Graz

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 05:17:16 PM »
I have fitted a 6" riser under my Tom Senior so not to stoop when using it, I will follow with intrest fitting the DRO

Tony
Now I've used mine a bit think I will fit a riser, still researching the DRO's been to see a guy local who fitted his own to a Bridgeport, he also fitted a vernier type to the quill which is handy.

I posted on the Tomsenior yahoo group but had no replies  :(