Author Topic: Hello from Nashville USA  (Read 4673 times)

Offline GWRdriver

Hello from Nashville USA
« on: January 25, 2011, 04:13:25 PM »
Hello all,
I am GWRdriver (aka Harry Wade) adding yet ANOTHER model engineering board to my bookmarks and it appears that most of my WWW friends (the usual suspects) are here also.  I am also always glad to meet new Usual Suspects.  For those of you who don't know me I am a 64 year old retired architect living in Nashville Tennessee USA and have been live steaming and model engineering since the mid-1960s.  My primary project interests are British steam locomotives and stationary steam engines, in particular beam engines, and toolmaking.  My usual practice is to try make as much of a project as I can myself, usually buying only basic castings and fasteners.  I am currently building a redesigned LBSC TICH in 7.5" gauge and when that is completed I plan to move to 3.5" gauge where my first project will probably be an LNWR Improved Precedent or Jumbo class 2-4-0, better known as LBSC's Mabel.  I am also an experienced copper boiler builder and I was for a time a member of SMEE (London) and I'm also active in G1MRA and Ga1 live steam.  Although I have added another board I am making an effort to spend less time on the computer and more time in the workshop.  We'll see how that goes.
Cheers,
Harry
Cheers,
GWRdriver
Nashville TN

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
Re: Hello from Nashville USA
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 05:27:49 PM »
Feel very welcome to us.  :clap:

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 07:32:45 PM »
Hi Harry  :wave:

Welcome to the collective :borg:

I recognize you from HMEM. We are slightly different  :headbang: not all model engineering, though we do have a good portion of that. Would love to see some pictures of your LBSC TICH.

Enjoy your stay!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Mark132

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 12:42:06 AM »
Hi,
I've been lurking here for a little bit, but I thought I would chime in and say that I am from Nashville also.
I tinker a bit with a small Taig Lathe that I use to modify antique and modern yo-yos, although I think i've caught the lathe mod bug and am working on my setup piece by piece. I'm a relative newbie compared to most of you and hope to learn lots from everyone here.

Mark

Offline krv3000

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 05:30:58 AM »
Welcome to the collective  :nrocks:

Offline GWRdriver

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 03:13:03 PM »
welcome, would love to see a project log chronicle
Hello Kenneth,
Thanks to you and the others for the welcome and after a little time to get the lay of the land I will start up something.  I have the most material on my current TICH locomotive project, which includes boiler-building, but most of it is a design-as-I-go project and my progress stumbles along as time permits so contributions might be sporadic.  One of the things which arrested all workshop progress was the Nashville floods of May 2010 which put 14" of muddy water in my workshop and garage and the cleanup salvage operation is far from done.  I completely sympathize with any Australians who might be on-board who are affected by flooding.  There's no more helpless feeling than watching the water rise. :bugeye:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 03:14:56 PM by GWRdriver »
Cheers,
GWRdriver
Nashville TN

Offline GWRdriver

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 06:29:09 PM »
Oy!  That's really bad!

This was (is) my workshop door.  The debris line to the right of the door shows the crest.  There wasn't a thing I could do about it, then or now, but that's all in the past and things will eventually get back to normal.  What I've come to realize since then is that the new normal is going to be better than the old normal. :clap:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 06:35:28 PM by GWRdriver »
Cheers,
GWRdriver
Nashville TN