Author Topic: Scott flame licker build  (Read 147356 times)

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
Re: Scott flame licker build
« Reply #150 on: March 06, 2011, 05:10:34 PM »
Thanks for the info on the cutters. As you can most probably guess, with some at around 150 squid (over 200 bucks) each, I don't pay for them, kind donations from the scrap bin, 'nuff said.

BTW, the reason I used that cutter rather than a standard HSS one was because all the ones of that type that I possess have a very nice corner radius, the one I used was 0.5mm rad.

Today I decided a few things needed to be finished off before going any further.

Using my horizontal belt sander, the top and front previously machined faces of the water jacket and the other rough fettled faces were given a good going over. The only one left untouched was the base which I had machined up. I will also be giving it a dose of heavyweight grit blast, and if the surface comes out well enough, I just might not paint it.

The jacket also needed to have the stainless studs fitting. The build calls for hex head bolts, but I always think that covers such as this always look better with studs and nuts.

So it was just a matter of putting a nut and washer on the threaded rod, screwing it into the hole and tightening up the nut, followed by a quickie chop off with a reinforced cutting disc.

Soon done.

The first of many disassemblies. This time to Loctite the studs into their holes.

Once set, the whole lot was reassembled, with just one washer under the nut. Normally, I would fit two, chop off the exposed stud, remove one washer and they would all be nicely the same length protruding from the nut.
This time on final assembly there will be no washers fitted because they extend out over the edge of the cover, as the bolt holes are very close to the edge because of the graphite block needs some space in the middle to move about. The nuts fit perfectly to the edge.

The uneven lengths of studding were soon machined down to just above the nuts.
I wish someone would come up with a tool that does backwards countersinking. Place on top of the cut stud, give it a turn, and a nice chamfer is put on the end.
I must think about making one.

Finished off nicely.
In fact it will need another strip down to not only finish off the jacket, but also seal things up. But as it is, it should be fine for trial runs.

Another thing I have been pondering over is running this shaft in just drilled holes in the casting, a thing I personally don't like, so I took the decision to ball race it.
I had bought some nice 7mm diameter low profile ball races a while ago from China, and because there shouldn't be much heat in the area, I decided to leave the rubber seals in. This serves me two purposes, the action will be much smoother with less friction, and I won't have to make and fit the required oil cups.
They will be hidden from view on final assembly.
If you notice, the holes in the upstands aren't central, they were drilled to dimensions required on the plans.

Because I had previously machined up datum edges on the base casting, it was dead easy, using the DRO, to pick up the holes again.

First off, the hole was gone thru with a 5mm milling cutter, just so the original holes didn't interfere with the running of the shaft.

It was then followed down with a 7mm cutter to a depth of 2.5mm, diameter and thickness of the bearings. This was done to both upstands.

Ballraced shaft done, and I am now a lot more happy.

The next job concerned the camshaft follower arm, it required a 1/8" offset joggle putting into it.

By heating up just the part that was affected (the black bit), that area was annealed, to make it softer for bending. Just heat up to an orangey red, and either leave to air cool, or as I prefer, because it is quicker, quench in cold water. Both ways work just as well as each other.

A little bit difficult to see, this is how I set it up in the vice. A 1/8" parallel either side, at the position of the start and end of the joggle. The vice was then tightened up and left for a few minutes.
Once taken out, it only required a tiny amount of hand tweaking to get it perfectly in line, and by the time I had finished, it had work hardened almost back to normal. It will carry on age hardening over time.

You will also notice that I have cut a small recess in the crank disc, this will be filled with engine colour paint to give a nice contrast.
It is now starting to look like a finished engine.

Methinks a little more polishing and loads of fixings to be made.

Bogs
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 07:35:14 PM by bogstandard »
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline BiggerHammer

« Reply #151 on: March 06, 2011, 05:24:44 PM »
It seems I learn something or two every time I visit the site. I like how you put the offset using the parallels and the vice. A handy new trick. Love your work bogstandard. Looking very good.

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
« Reply #152 on: March 06, 2011, 05:52:20 PM »
Tanks for chearing Bogs. It's always a plesure to read your'e work-storys, and to see how you succesfully can make sucht a beutifull engine. I'll hope that day's will come when I can make something close to your'e building.  :bow: :bow: :bow:

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #153 on: March 06, 2011, 06:44:44 PM »
Thanks for the nice comments gents, and Benni, there are very few tricks involved at all, a lot of common sense, taking your time over things and making one good part at a time. You will do it in the end if you keep trying.
My machinery does help, but that, in the distant past, never stopped me from making engines just as good as this one. In fact, a hacksaw and a file can do almost everything a mill can, and that used to be my early way when I couldn't afford one, shame I can't do it that way nowadays.

Bogs

Skype - bandit175

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #154 on: March 06, 2011, 07:03:44 PM »
Quote from: Bogstandard
I wish someone would come up with a tool that does backwards countersinking. Place on top of the cut stud, give it a turn, and a nice chamfer is put on the end.  I must think about making one.

They certainly make them for the woodsmiths, used for putting ends on dowels.
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline kvom

« Reply #155 on: March 06, 2011, 08:13:40 PM »
Thanks for the endmill explanation Mr. DKM.

And nice work as always Mr. Bogs.

Offline Jasonb

« Reply #156 on: March 07, 2011, 02:33:31 AM »
I wish someone would come up with a tool that does backwards countersinking.

Something like this perhaps? This is shaped to round over the ends of boiler stays but I have seen similar for studs.

Starting to look like an engine now, keep it up.

Jason

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #157 on: March 07, 2011, 03:19:27 AM »
That is it Jason, but with say a 90 deg angle instead of being rounded.

Many thanks for the picture, that shows me exactly what needs doing.

A bit difficult at this time, but still attempting to get two hours a day in.

John

Skype - bandit175

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #158 on: March 07, 2011, 06:01:53 AM »
Very nice John,

Nearly there now.

I will be trying to get back in the shop / garage tonight after my month and a bit sabatical, starting with a good old clean up!

Nick

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #159 on: March 07, 2011, 12:08:59 PM »
Very nicely done in all regards, John, like so many others, the ways and means you use are quite often new ideas for doing things, and will be faithfully carried on.  As an aside, I've noticed on some of my cheaper, read "chinese" center cutting end mills, they get rather a lot of angle on the end cutting flutes, and if centered on a short stud or such, could be used to clean up the end.  I hadn't thought of it myself, but I believe it would be rather easy to take a stone and increase that angle, and add some curve to it, making it cut much like you describe.  I hate the look and blood of unfinished studs and cut off screws, and usually bevel them with a belt sander, or if they've been cut off in situ, as yours, carefully with a small file, although that seldom gives as good an end result.  I want my stud end square, the threads ended with about a thirty degree angle, and the "tail end" of that last thread chased with a file right down to the smooth flat end.  Easy to do with rod and a belt sander, a bit of work with file and not leaving scars on finished surroundings.  All in all, a very fine looking engine, and that touch with the crank counterweight is a "crowning touch". :beer:  You do very fine and artful work, Jack

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #160 on: March 07, 2011, 01:59:04 PM »
Jack,

As you know, I have very limited time each day to do this work. Well I went into the shop this morning to finish off the linkages.

I found I had joggled the cam rod the wrong way. Normally it would not have been a problem, but because of my shaping of the rod, it ended upside down. So my couple of hours today have been wasted putting it right.

To me, making mistakes is a good sign. It saves you getting too big headed when everything goes perfectly, it proves you are just human.

John

Skype - bandit175

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #161 on: March 07, 2011, 06:22:34 PM »
John, sorry to hear about the rod - sods law as everything was going swimmingly, you're right though it keeps you on your toes I guess and it shows that these things don't only happen to relatively inexperienced chaps like me!  Glad you sorted it.

Out of interest, how often do you clean the workshop? After every nights work? I gave my machines a decent clean and oiled the slideways etc tonight. It hadn't been done since I started back up on poppin - it was a mess and not nice to work in. I know my grandad was a bit of a stickler for cleanliness in the workshop, he would not have been impressed at all. I thought I'd do it after each project but it was too long. Apparently one of the old guys that sadly passed away from our club always had his workshop so that you could virtually eat off the surfaces - sounds great, but is it really necessary?

Nick

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #162 on: March 07, 2011, 09:43:39 PM »
Nick,

No one is perfect, so you should always show or tell, if not too embarrasing, your mistakes as well. Like you said, it shows that people with lots of experience also cock things up as well.

But, if it can be fixed, like mine was, it wasn't a cock up, it was just going thru a modification stage.

Workshop cleaning sadly is a thing I can't do myself. But my machines usually get a brush down onto the drip tray when I change chucks or change job in the vice. Mass machine curly swarf is cleaned away into the bin straight away. My machines get over oiled, at least once a session, maybe twice, especially on the mill as I have one shot lube. It might make the machines look filthy, but at least they are staying accurate and not wearing away too quickly. Oil is cheaper than new machinery.

Normally my wife and daughter get in the shop when I ask them and give it a good clean out, after I have emptied the drip trays onto the floor. I don't mind them putting the hoover pipe onto the machines, but I don't want them in there with their hands.

All my machine cutting tools go back as soon as I have finished with them, but I am like I think most people are, my worktop gets covered in hand tools, and get them put away en mass when I can't find a bit of space to work on.

John

Skype - bandit175

Offline kvom

« Reply #163 on: March 08, 2011, 07:42:22 AM »
All my machine cutting tools go back as soon as I have finished with them, but I am like I think most people are, my worktop gets covered in hand tools, and get them put away en mass when I can't find a bit of space to work on.

x2

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #164 on: March 08, 2011, 07:55:08 AM »
Thanks John, good to know it's not just me that finds myself working in a mess. I went to the trouble of getting the proper miller slideway oil but have hardly used any so I'll have to get into the habbit. My lathe has lots of grease nipples everywhere so I put it in the gun that was under the lathe cabinet - think it's actually a grease gun though so tends to leak a bit! On the mill I just have to use a silly plastic bottle that came with it. Should maybe invest in a proper oil can!

That's good getting them to help out but as you said, it's easy to pick up splinters, I got a couple last night but think I managed to scrub them out as can't feel anything this morning. I'll have to clear the curly swarf out straight away in future as that quickly blocks the hoover.

I need to take time to make some decent storage for tools etc like yours, it makes using the workshop much nicer.

Nick

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #165 on: March 08, 2011, 07:58:30 AM »

Actually, I have become adept at filling my available work surfaces with tools and swarf, then pushing the combined mess to the rear of the worktop to leave a small space in which to place yet more tools and swarf!!!

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

lordedmond

« Reply #166 on: March 08, 2011, 09:05:59 AM »

x2

x3

Stuart

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #167 on: March 08, 2011, 01:06:14 PM »
Well, with a post like that, I have to chime in :lol:  like you John, I have limits because of my M.S., I do what I can, but if I do an extra hour's work today, I won't be able to work tomorrow, so I stop when it's time, unless it's an emergency, and then I just go ahead, knowing I will pay the price, without any doubt.  At the beginning of the M.S., I cleaned every machine after using it, at the end of each day.  Not eat off of clean, but ready to put a piece in and work clean, and periodic "field days", bulkhead to bulkhead, deck to overhead, clean enough for an inspection.  I am now satisfied if I can work on the machines, if I can get the full swarf buckets out, and I can find all my tools.  I have way too much space, in a forty by sixty foot building, but I sort my collected "junk", separating out scrap metal and all recycleables, because they mean money, and every couple of years make a major haul to the dump site.  I do everything in my power to prevent any damage done to my machines by dirt, swarf, grit, but if it doesn't cause problems, it's not that important.  My wife has M.S. also, my daughter is going blind from an eye disease and my son lives with us to help keep the sixty odd acres cared for, and I'll be fine with someone having to clean the mess when I'm gone.  They might find something really valuable given my penchant for odds and ends which end up being unique and valuable sometimes.  I will be posting another engine soon, but yesterday I was drilling and tapping holes for the head in a cylinder, and power tapped with the wrong tap and broke it off.  After welding on it, and doing everything I could to remove it, I found I was stuck with it.  It was a four bolt pattern, so I put it back in the mill and lined it up and drilled and tapped a six hole pattern which fit around the three holes and one broken off tap, and will be covered by the head when it's done.  I keep learning the same lessons again and again, maybe I should reconsider my position on certain subjects? :bugeye:  cheers, Jack

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #168 on: March 08, 2011, 03:12:43 PM »
It gets to us all sometime Jack, no one is spared.

But anyway, lets get this post back on track.

Only one picture tonight, very similar to the last one I posted. But in fact there has been a fair amount of progress (for me at least).

Mainly things you don't consider take much time, but actually do. Making up bearing spacers, silver soldering a few bits 'n bobs together and drilling and tapping all the grub screw holes, plus working out how to get around bad practices on the original build. There is no way will I Loctite a couple of bearings to a shaft, then Loctite the bearings and shaft down into a hole, I want it to come apart without too much trouble whenever I want.

It is all mainly tiny steelwork from now on, special bolts, bifurcated rivets, little bling buttons, springs etc.

I can't get too far ahead, I am waiting for some bits that I thought I wouldn't need for the burner, plus I also have to get out of the house to buy some copper pipe fittings, again for the burner.

Bogs

Skype - bandit175

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #169 on: March 09, 2011, 08:20:56 PM »
 :nrocks: Hi John I just wanted to say it's coming along quite nicely, and I'm looking forward to seeing that burner go together. Jack

Offline J Harp

« Reply #170 on: March 09, 2011, 11:18:02 PM »
 :clap:Thanks for the education John. I missed the start of this build, so have read it thru in a few evenings. As with all your projects shown here it is beautiful work, beautifully presented. A question or two, in reply 137, what is the device attached to the scale, and could you show an altogether picture of it? I don't think I've seen one before. Thank You.

Jim
Jim

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #171 on: March 10, 2011, 01:58:25 AM »
Jim,

The only thing I can notice that you are on about are my very small spring dividers (donated to me last year by another member, and very nice they are too), and if you look at post 144, 5th piccy down, it shows them in full view. Next to the RDG special freebie 6" rule, they give you an extra inch just in case you lose one at sometime.

Sorry about that, as I usually try to show the major hand tools I used in each shot, but sometimes they would overwhealm what I was trying to show, so you only get a partial shot of them.

I'm glad you are enjoying the build.

John
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 02:00:25 AM by bogstandard »

Skype - bandit175

Offline J Harp

« Reply #172 on: March 10, 2011, 08:13:22 AM »
The tool I was asking about is in the shot where you were measuring to decide what to do with the rod. It's a rule or maybe a depth gage with a sliding member ending in a sort of hooked pointer which is indicating about 1 and 41/64". I'm just curious, I don't recall ever seeing one like that, and wondered what it was.

Your swing up threading tool is near the top of my to do list when I get a mill. That's a first class design.
Jim

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #173 on: March 10, 2011, 08:39:21 AM »
Jim,

My curiosity got the best of me and I went back to look at what you are describing. Are you talking about the second pic in reply #137? If so I believe what you think is a depth gage is actually part of the engine. Just a guess.

Trying to help out Bog's. Hope you don't mind.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #174 on: March 10, 2011, 10:03:12 AM »
Jim,

Bernd is correct, the bit behind the rule is actually the crank disc, and yes, the hole in it is supposed to be that close to the edge.

I was rough measuring from near the end of the cylinder to the centre of that hole.

John
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 10:05:04 AM by bogstandard »

Skype - bandit175