Author Topic: Tool post preferences?  (Read 3646 times)

Offline jkkawakami

Tool post preferences?
« on: January 06, 2011, 11:50:36 AM »
closer and closer to making chips with the rest of you. belt is on the way for the SB c/o ebay. soon i will have no excuses. prowling around the forums for the last week has infected me with :proj:.

The SB doesnt have a tool post. I have used a rocker-type post before and have about 3/4 the components to put one together for the SB. Just wondering what the committee's thoughts were on tool posts.

What types are the most forgiving for a newbie?

What types are the most utilitarian?

What types are the 'best'?

JK

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Re: Tool post preferences?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 06:01:03 PM »
Hi JK,
I`m not the one for giving advice on here, I`m new to this as well and I`ve never had a lantern style (which I believe is the rocker type?) tool post but all I can tell you is that since purchasing my quick change tool post 6 months ago, I wouldn`t be without!! ..ever. They are just so relaxing to use, the ease of moving from one tool to another without any messing around at all is fantastic. I guess they are also easier to setup in a way, no shimming tools to height, instead you just alter the height nut on the top. I would certainly consider one. Hope that is of some help but I`m sure the ones who know what they are talking about will shout out soon.

Chris

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 06:34:03 PM »
If you decide on a quick change tool post check out the prices here"  http://cdcotools.com/  They are Asian made but so are the ones sold under the Phase Two name at about twice the price.

Joe

Offline jkkawakami

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 06:45:57 PM »
yeah, the QCTP of some type is what I expect folks to point me to.

Now the question becomes one of DIY or BUY.

Thanks for the feedback.

JK

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 11:57:32 PM »
JK,

The answer must be, can or can't you machine it yourself?

There are lots of plans on the net for QCTP's, but they are usually someone's idea of their ideal. Which usually means, when you run out of holders, you've got to make a load more specials.

Whereas if you go for a commercial unit, like a piston or Dickson type, the tool holders come ready to drop on at a very reasonable price. The piston type being the cheaper of the two.

The main advantage for the piston type is that if really needed, just one special cutting tool, a 60deg dovetail, and you can easily make whatever obscure holder you want to.

Everything has to be personal choice in such matters.

What works for one might not work for another.

I have used both Dickson and piston types on all my lathes, both have good and bad points, but IMHO the piston has the edge, purely because of what I mentioned above about making your own holders.

But that is just for me, you will have to make your own choice.

Bogs
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175