Author Topic: Stuart No 8 (Completed)  (Read 10525 times)

Offline kwackers

Stuart No 8 (Completed)
« on: December 24, 2010, 08:02:07 AM »
Some pics of a Stuart No 8.

Not quite finished, I need to make a wooden base and sort out the pipework.

Main thing to notice is the conrod, on the No 8 this *should* be a brass casting, but slightly too much haste had it bend in the lathe...
So I made a new one in 3 parts, mild steel shaft and a pair of cast brass bearings.

Paintwork could be better, next time I'll spend a bit more time preparing the castings and filling any marks.

(Larger images can be seen Here)

Offline slowcoach

Re: Stuart No 8 (Completed)
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 08:04:41 AM »
Looks stunning, nice work  :bow:, love the colour  :clap: :clap:

Cheers
Rob :thumbup:

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 08:14:24 AM »
Hi Kwackers, that is one fine looking engine, even with the built up con rod.  If you hadn't told us, I'd have never known.  Now we ought to get to see her running, don't you think?  On steam maybe?  with sound? :poke:  One of my older and favorite kit builds is a die filer I bought from a fellow here who designs and builds things, then has the patterns out at a moulding place, or a couple and sells kits, Andy Loftquist, with Metal Lathe Accessories, and he offers the best quality castings I've got, and good solid designs, and he's on the net with that title.  I like the filer because it does such a nice job getting rid of casting lines and on billet material, it files right up to a scribed line, and does a fine job blending in curves and such.  It's a simple piece with a scotch yoke driving the filing shaft, a good cap, on the rod and a nice cap with felt under to keep the filings out, and it has an oil pump built in for oiling the filing shaft and the yoke.  It just needs a little electric motor to drive it.  I just thought I'd mention it, as you mentioned filing off bumps and the like on the castings.  I really would like to see it and hear it run with some steam, you can't just plop out an engine and say here it is, boys, what do ya think, now, can you? :poke:  looking forward :beer: mad jack p.s. you do some fine craftsmanship, she is pretty.

Offline kwackers

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 08:31:18 AM »
Thanks guys!

Not being an engineer it's good to hear positive comments about one's work. I'm aware of various issues and how I could have done things differently, that combined with peoples comments hopefully means things can only get better.

Madjack.
Once it's on a base I'll run it again (on air) and post some footage. I've a boiler ready for silver soldering, I'll create a build log for that once I'm ready to pick up where I've left it so hopefully we'll see it steaming soon.
I'd love a filing machine. Most of the preparation for painting was done with emery glued to lolly sticks and bits of wood. It's one of those paint jobs that's almost but not quite right - and all the more disappointing because of it... Just a bit more work would have made a huge difference.
The No4 is next, this time it'll be right!

Offline DeereGuy

• D1 Adapter Solutions
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 05:15:26 PM »
Kwackers...nice job..the paint looks great from here!

Offline scrapman

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 06:15:19 PM »
Great  :thumbup: , love the colours,

Ray.

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 10:22:12 AM »
Hi all, Kwackers, I wanted a die filer for a long time, but it wasn't until I bought the kit, built it and started using it that I had a full and complete appreciation for its value as a tool.  It doesn't get used every week, but when it does get used, nothing else even comes close to the quality of work it does.  I don't remember what I paid for the kit, but I'd pay twice as much if necessary, or figure out my own design, and build one out of scrap machinery.  I had a temporary one out of a sewing machine, pulling on jeweler's files for a few weeks, and while it wasn't much at all, it convinced me to spend the money on a real one.  I really do want to hear that engine running though.  :poke: mad jack

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 11:03:33 AM »
Kwackers.
Now, that's very nice...... Pretty, even!  :clap:

Bet it runs as nice as it looks.....  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline benji

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 11:11:11 AM »
Nice one  Kwackers, I like the paint scheme especially the flywheel. I think the conrod looks better as a 3 part assembly.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 09:14:41 PM »
I have to agree with everything that's been said. The Stuart line of engines are really classy representations of their full sized counterparts and you did a great job on this one. I especially like the con rod. I think it's a better addition to the engine.
gbritnell

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 10:02:55 AM »
Hi Steve, after a second look, I have to agree with benji, the built up con rod is more interesting.  Are the drain cocks pre-made, or did you machine them yourself?  I've got a steam engine project I will be needing such fittings for, too.  That's a very good looking engine and should sound very fine. :bow: mad jack

Offline arnoldb

• Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 03:05:38 PM »
Kwackers, that is a great looking engine.  I love the two-tone blue, and the cream flywheel along with the brass really offsets it!
Very good job  :thumbup:

:beer:, Arnold

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 03:33:31 PM »
 :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Very nice sir!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline kwackers

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 04:21:58 PM »
Hi Guys, thanks for the kind words!

Can't write too much as am on my mobile phone north of Tromsų heading for Hammerfest (Arctic exploration is really cushy these days!)

As soon as I get the engine on a plinth I'll post footage of it running.

With regards the valves, all 3 are bought although I was looking at instructions (on this site??) for making a ball valve and will make the drain valves myself next time.

The conrod is a fortunate accident, I too think it looks better with a built up conrod. I have noticed that all the full sized engines of this type I've seen in the flesh had a steel conrod and a set of brass bearings for the big end - so even though I messed up I'm sorta pleased that I did (plus it was easier to make a built up conrod than faff with the single piece brass casting).