Author Topic: Quest channel 'How it's Made'  (Read 13957 times)

Offline bry1975

• http://www.satintime.co.uk
Quest channel 'How it's Made'
« on: December 17, 2010, 12:21:46 PM »
So have any of you chaps been watching the quite informative Quest channel the 'How it's Made' series is certainly interesting?

Seasons greetings

Bry

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
Re: Quest channel 'How it's Made'
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 12:32:25 PM »
I watch it every Friday evening with my 6 year old son.  Some stuff fascinates him, other stuff he doesn't care about at all.  So far, it's anybody's guess as to which it will be every episode.  There's also a series called "How do they do it" that we watch together.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline Jasonb

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 12:33:09 PM »
Its been on Discovery for several years, good programme. They recently did one on Maxitrak showing one of their locos being made.

Jason

Offline Ned Ludd

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 12:35:04 PM »
Hi Bry,
Oh, yes.
There is so little to watch these days, despite the number of channels, that little gems like this, almost, make a whole evenings entertainment. Shame that some subjects are over simplified but simple is better than none.

You may not know that a number of the shows segments are available on You Tube. Type "how things work" into the search box.
Ned
I know enough to do what I do, but the more I know the more I can do!

Leafy suburbs of NW London

Offline jim

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 01:38:14 PM »
been a fan for years of this program, proper tv!
if i'd thought it through, i'd have never tried it

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 11:43:04 AM »
I had lots of these recorded (and watched) on my Sky+ box and was sad to lose them when I had it replaced.
It is an excellent series, there has hardly been a single one I haven`t enjoyed. There was a fantastic one of them making end mills which was amazing. I also liked the saw making process. Some of the mass produced foods are interesting too, I couldn`t believe how ice cream lollies were made! Certainly a thumbs up from me on that programme.

Chris

Offline snub

• Canada
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 01:07:03 PM »
You Tube member "bamboopasia" has hundreds of How It's Made episodes.

I also found the End Mill episode from another member:

Offline Alan Haisley

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 06:52:54 PM »
While I really enjoy almost all of the "How it's Made" programs, it's disappointing that almost all of them could be titled "How a Large, Automated Factory Makes Stuff".

They have had a few artisan shows, but those are quite rare.

If only they would take a good handfull or two of the more productive people from this and a few other boards and make episodes showing them making things. Now THAT would be really great. And it could show how things are actually made.

Alan

Offline Ned Ludd

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 08:23:11 PM »
The gratifying thing is that so much is still produced in the West and not as we would have believed that everything now comes from China. Or is it that if they film in China they don't show the workers, just the machines.
Ned
I know enough to do what I do, but the more I know the more I can do!

Leafy suburbs of NW London

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 11:19:23 AM »
The gratifying thing is that so much is still produced in the West and not as we would have believed that everything now comes from China. Or is it that if they film in China they don't show the workers, just the machines.
Ned

I have thought this many a time when watching this program! It rarely does show the workers...

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 09:14:10 AM »
Most of "How it's made" is filmed in Canada.  "How stuff's made" is mostly in the US.  "How do they do it?" is more widespread.

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 11:11:19 AM »
I don't mind the Big Automated Factory stuff - in fact, I think it's fascinating. Some of the mechanisms in use are just incredible. Much more interesting than watching a bloke whacking something with a big hammer...

The biggest problem with watching them on Discovery is the sheer number of repeats. It's like Family Guy - brilliant, but I'm pretty sure I've seen them all now...
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline Dean W

• My kingdom for a lathe!
    • Projects web pages
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 07:56:07 PM »
Most of "How it's made" is filmed in Canada.  "How stuff's made" is mostly in the US.  "How do they do it?" is more widespread.

I've never heard of "How stuff's made", and I'm in the States.  We have "How it's Made", and have for many years.  Also a show
called "Factory Made" that is very similar. 
I watch them for lack of something better.  Not a lot of real info in them, especially when they have a four minute segment on
how a Hughes helicopter is made.  Start to finish in four minutes, you know there's not much of the actual process shown.  Still,
they're kind of entertaining.  Sort of "Manufacturing-Lite".  ; )
Dean W.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Praise the Lord and pass the Carbide!

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 08:28:52 PM »
Looks like it might be called "Some Assembly Required" in the US.  It's usually got Brian Unger taking part in the processes involved.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1160042/

Offline Dean W

• My kingdom for a lathe!
    • Projects web pages
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2011, 09:02:48 PM »
That's a different show again, mostly with Unger mugging for the camera.  The other shows are more of a
proper narrated program.
Dean W.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Praise the Lord and pass the Carbide!

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 08:08:46 AM »
In the UK version, most are narrated in a manner similar to "How it's Made" by Robert Llewellyn (Kryten in "Red Dwarf").

Offline DavidA

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 08:28:53 AM »
If you want artisan stuff you need to be watching American Hot rod. Once you get past the ego trips,  American Chopper has a lot of good stuff as well.

Yes,  I know that it is mostly panel beating and painting.  But what the hell,  I like that seeing guys create things from sheet steel and lengths of pipe.

Dave.

lordedmond

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 01:15:53 PM »
If you want artisan stuff you need to be watching American Hot rod. Once you get past the ego trips,  American Chopper has a lot of good stuff as well.

Yes,  I know that it is mostly panel beating and painting.  But what the hell,  I like that seeing guys create things from sheet steel and lengths of pipe.

Dave.

not when they bolt a bar to a Bridgeport mill table to bend it with a big hammer  :(

complete cowboys IMHO  , the buy most bits in . and don't get me started on "Bad dad "