Author Topic: A handy little arbor for a Dremel Chuck  (Read 16552 times)

Offline arnoldb

• Windhoek, Namibia
A handy little arbor for a Dremel Chuck
« on: December 12, 2010, 12:57:54 PM »
Jamesemery728 asked about a little arbor with a Dremel chuck that I showed in use while building my Little Blazer engine.

I'll bore you with the background first, then get on with the gory details  :lol:

Earlier this year when I bought my milling machine, I was disgusted to find that the chuck supplied with it could take 3mm bits at it's smallest.  I was in the middle of a project then, and very broke after buying the machine, so had to get a quick-fix for drilling small holes instead of splurging on a new chuck.  I had a Dremel chuck lying around that I bought a bit earlier in the year at a whim. So the little drill adapter idea was conceived and executed.

The Dremel nose thread has an external diameter of 7.1mm and uses a 60 degree 40 TPI thread.

I used a bit of 8mm silver steel and the Dremel chuck to start off with:

The arbor needs to be as accurate as possible.  My home-built collet chuck has less than 0.002mm run-out with my 8mm collet, so I just chucked the silver steel straight up in it.  If you don't have an accurate collet chuck, it would be well advised to use a 4-jaw chuck and clock the shaft as center as possible.  Even better would be to use over-sized steel and turn down and then thread the entire job between centers, though that will leave you with no way to test the thread to the chuck before finishing.
Use a parting tool to turn an undercut for thread run-out; the threaded section needs to be long enough for the chuck to screw on quite a distance, as it uses the arbor to close it's jaws.

40TPI is a fairly fine thread to single-point turn, so just take a little care and clean all the lathe change wheels and feed screw very well before starting - it does make a difference.  Don't be tempted to try and single-point turn a fine thread right down to size; it needs a delicate approach to get a good finish; I used about 6 consecutive infeed passes to get down to root diameter - with two passes at the exact same setting to get the finished result.  It's easier to test the thread by trying to screw the chuck on it when you near final size - you want a smooth but not stiff action to keep tolerances to a minimum.  A sloppy thread will result in bad concentricity of the chuck.  Also, your toolbit needs to be razor sharp at the tip.  I ended up with this after single-pointing:

Then lightly face the end of the arbor - it needs to be smooth and square, as the chuck presses its jaws against this face to open and close.  As a final step, drill a 4.3mm hole down the center; about 40mm deep is fine; this is to allow drill bits (or whatever you hold in it) some room to get inside.  Finally, mill (or file!) some spanner flats to a convenient size on it just beyond the threaded section; it can be very handy to have these.
This is what mine ended up like:

This is probably my most-used home-made bit of tooling; invaluable in the mill (keep the speed up for drilling small holes - and lightly does it!), and I have even used it in the lathe to turn some clock axles down to 0.4mm out of 1mm rod on the lathe. The only regret I have is that I have not yet made one each for a 6mm and 10mm arbor size - as these are the most-used ones on my mill  :coffee:

:beer:, Arnold

Offline DavidA

Re: A handy little arbor for a Dremel Chuck
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 01:17:31 PM »
Arnold,

Pretty neat.
Now why didn't I think of that ? :dremel:

Dave.

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • Software For People Who Build Things
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 01:39:26 PM »
I didn't need to hold tiny drills (have other chucks for that purpose) but I did essentially what Arnold describes to make my most used pin vise.

I drilled the arbor straight through so I can hold long wires for end grinding.  I also made a removable brass spinner for the aft end of the arbor to serve as a fingertip rest in pin vise mode.

Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline jamesemery728

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 02:29:32 PM »
Thanks Arnold. I made one of these from a Dremel tool that was junked and no longer usable. At the time I did not have any way to make the arbor so I just cannabalized the one that was in the broken tool. I use it in a very small arbor press to hold small pins to push out watch band spring bars. Very handy little chuck and they are only about $7 or $8 dollars.

Offline scrapman

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 03:00:42 PM »
Neat idea Arnold  :thumbup: I have a spare dremel chuck somewhere,

Ray.

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 03:11:38 PM »
You should also find these small chucks fit some of the cheapo Chinese drills. Just take off the collet nut, then remove collet and try it, if it fits, then great, if not, don't bother.

Bogs
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline fluxcored

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 03:31:28 AM »
Hey Arnold,

Sorry to go OT but what mill have you got and where did you buy it from? I've contacted Rod from Sieg SA a couple of months ago about an X3 and he was supposed to send me their new pricing.

Figure if the guy could'nt even do that on time then support is'nt going to be great for those machines. But must say I heard good stories about Rod.

I let a round column Rexxon slip through my fingers in August and regretted that.

BTW. your work is outstanding!!
"Living is a dangerous occupation. Just look at all the dead people out there." - Thomas Lipton

Offline arnoldb

• Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 05:42:58 AM »
Thanks everyone.

I'll have to get some more chucks to build one like Marv's   :thumbup: - been needing a pin vise for longer jobs!

Flux, my mill's an RF45 clone from Adendorff - http://www.tooltime.co.za/ProductDetails.aspx?id=477; It was standing in the showroom here in Windhoek for more than 8 months; the first time I saw it I joked with the shop owner that it will wait for me to scrape together the money to buy it, and it did just that...

Regards, Arnold

Offline fluxcored

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 07:23:55 AM »
Good man. That seems to be quite a capable machine! I can see one of that in my future.

Pity I maxed out the credit card!

I got sidetracked by the rage against all things Chinese/Asian made. I then figured that I'll probably be dead by the time I could afford or make the space for a good Bridgeport so I'm aiming at a cheap belt driven round column mill/drill for now.
"Living is a dangerous occupation. Just look at all the dead people out there." - Thomas Lipton