Author Topic: Saddle Stop Indicator Mount  (Read 16999 times)

Offline Corvus corax

Saddle Stop Indicator Mount
« on: November 28, 2010, 10:27:21 AM »
I've been using this little gadget for a while now and I'm pretty happy with it.
Finally managed to get the wife to take pictures of it. :)
I was inspired by:
http://9x20lathe.blogspot.com/2007/11/saddle-stop-and-dial-indicator-mount.html
After redrawing the diagram in Metric I attacked one piece of Aluminium scrap with the Einhell Mini Mill. Which resulted in this:

I added the carriage bolt to use as a form of adjustable depth stop.

Or I can swap it out for the Dial Indicator, as shown below.

Hopefully in the next year I will get my anodizing set up going and anodize it.

It's not much as far as a project goes but it's very useful and I highly recommend it to anyone with a 9x20 lathe.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
Re: Saddle Stop Indicator Mount
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 11:08:45 AM »
Great Job!!! I keep threatening to make a couple of those for my lathes.
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline ibuildstuff4u

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 07:06:59 PM »
Looks great!  I made a couple of them my self last year.  One is set up as a carriage stop and the other sports a 2" dial indicator.  

Keep up the good work.

Offline Corvus corax

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 04:19:06 AM »
Thanks guys. If anyone has a Dial indicator setup for the mini mill, horizontal axis not vertical, I would be interested in seeing it. I've heard guys joke about having an ARO on their mills table instead of a DRO but noone has ever posted pics.

Offline Boucher

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 08:11:03 PM »
This Micrometer stop came with my lathe but it would not be hard to copy. For imperial measurements a 20 tpi thread is 0.050 per revolution. This thing is stout enough that it makes it very easy to face a part to a very accurate dimension.

Byron Boucher
Burnet, Texas

Offline Jonny

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 05:11:00 PM »
Nice job there my M300 came with a steel one but double clamp, came in handy 5 weeks ago and fitted in a round about fashion to the 140.

Never got round to making a carriage stop but will do with a capstan indexing arrangement for various operations.
I am currently working on a cross slide twin stop doubling up as a swarf protector for the DRO currently finishing off.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 09:08:13 AM »
Have you found a supplier for chemicals, etc yet?  -Kenneth

Kenneth,

Try this place Caswell Plating. I know it's on the right coast but it's a start.

I've always wanted to try anodizing also.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 10:05:05 AM »
.....Please do share some photos and your experiences with anodizing.....

hi Kenneth - I posted a few notes in this thread which may be useful.

Dave

Offline DeereGuy

• D1 Adapter Solutions
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 02:28:24 PM »
Kenneth,
The link that Dave posted gives you a very good run down on what it takes.

What chemicals do you have and what are you going to use for a power supply?

Offline Jonny

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 03:42:35 PM »
Think this deserves a topic on its own.

Had a binge at anodising for a few years but couldnt get the colouring right. No way of knowing until job completed and sealed.
Many a time had loss of contact - creates an oxide build up even wedging in aluminium tapers.
Two PSU's 0-30V ones a twin output digi 10A paked up twice, the others a cheapy from Maplin 0-30V analogue.

Havent done any anodising since my son broke the 4ft fish tank holding several gallons of sulphuric acid 19%. Steel doors didnt last long :clap:
Hydrochloric 33% is the one, that stings.

Dyes was a nightmare nothing worked tried the lot, in the end had to fork out for the proper powder.

Offline DeereGuy

• D1 Adapter Solutions
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 05:59:11 PM »
Kenneth,
Ron's link is where I was going to point you.  It sounds like you have the necessary chemicals and power supply.  I would recommend you also pick up a PH meter.  This stuff is far more sensitive than I thought with PH.  I got this one off of ebay and it works very well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230419320028&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I messed about for some time with different dyes and power supply.

I now use the Clairiant Dyes and mid temp nickle acetate for sealer.  I have a couple of products I will be selling and wanted to make sure I got a good anodize job done.  Here is a nice deep black I am getting now.

Offline DeereGuy

• D1 Adapter Solutions
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 06:53:54 PM »
Kenneth,
Everything I am doing now is 6061 T6.  Different alloys will take the color differently.  So long as I keep all parameters the same through each step I get the same results.  I went to a commercial dye and sealer at the same time so I can't comment as to what helped the most.  I will need to invest in a chiller this summer.  At 12 ASF I have to keep a close eye on the ano solution to keep it below 75 degrees. 

Offline DeereGuy

• D1 Adapter Solutions
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 07:28:13 PM »
I've been using this little gadget for a while now and I'm pretty happy with it.
Finally managed to get the wife to take pictures of it. :)
I was inspired by:
http://9x20lathe.blogspot.com/2007/11/saddle-stop-and-dial-indicator-mount.html
After redrawing the diagram in Metric I attacked one piece of Aluminium scrap with the Einhell Mini Mill. Which resulted in this:

Hopefully in the next year I will get my anodizing set up going and anodize it.

It's not much as far as a project goes but it's very useful and I highly recommend it to anyone with a 9x20 lathe.

Corvus,
Very nicely done part.  I like how you took the time to round the edges and it looks like you might have sanded the surface also.

Offline Jonny

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 06:15:05 PM »
Lovely work Ken bet that took some time.

Gone totally off track here lets start a new thread in http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=4275.0

Offline Corvus corax

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 08:39:54 AM »

Corvus,
Very nicely done part.  I like how you took the time to round the edges and it looks like you might have sanded the surface also.

My Industrial arts teacher was a Swiss and really full of it about rounding edges as well as de-burring
It was a good habit to pick up for later use especially when working on firearms.

I did hand sand it with some 400 grit paper. I have the dyes and other chemicals and will do my anodising soon, now that the weather is starting to warm up.