Author Topic: Locktight on wheels  (Read 4481 times)

Online ozzie46

Locktight on wheels
« on: November 26, 2010, 12:08:20 PM »

What kind of clearance between axle and wheel bore should I have to locktight 5 guage wheels to the axles?  This is for my Simplex.

Ron

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

Re: Locktight on wheels
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 12:53:35 PM »
What kind of clearance between axle and wheel bore should I have to locktight 5 guage wheels to the axles?  This is for my Simplex.

Ron,  I don't know what "5 guage wheels" are, but you want a slight clearance fit (call it LC-5 class fit) for loctite-type adhesives to work.  They need to expand as they cure -- so .002/.001 diametral clearance is about right for most things less than .50 inches in diameter.  Machinery's Handbook has a pretty good section on fits.

Online ozzie46

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 02:35:13 PM »

Thanks for the response Lew. They are Model Locomotive wheels. I think it means the distance between the rails is 5in. The axles are .670 dia.

I was using the term "locktight" generically as I seem to be able to find the permatex brand as sold by NAPA easier than the real Locktight brand. I have some permatex that is for sleeves and bearings and is supposed to be permenant after it has set up. Has anyone got any experience with this?

Ron

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 03:41:50 PM »
Ron I used loctite on my loco 3 1/2" about 0.001" to 0.002 is fine. Use to have a lot to do with loctite at work (now henkel) the rep said they fix full size loco wheels with loctite using an interference fit.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Online ozzie46

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 05:31:02 PM »

Thanks Stew, thats good to know. If it works for the bigguns it'll work for us.

Ron