Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Heron's Aeolipile

<< < (2/32) > >>

Brass_Machine:

--- Quote from: Divided he ad on October 20, 2008, 08:17:17 PM ---
Eric,
I told you I was going to have a go at this.... Don't expect rapid results.... I'm still getting my head around all this new machinery (lathe and mill included  ;) ) Keep them eye's peeled..... (do you use this odd phrase over there? ... means keep an eye out.... Again odd phrase??!??  :o )

Ralph.

--- End quote ---

Never doubted you for a minute. Yup, that phrase was used quite a bit in the New England states when I lived up that way.

Eric

Divided he ad:
Well here we go....

The first stage, I made the punch head tonight.

First the original punch from the press was re-designed   ;)

Then made into the first of many threaded arbours.

Then the fun bit.....  Set ball turner to maximum captain!!! (well very near the safe max' anyway)

And .... There you have it.... I filmed this... I'll edit it and post it somewhere... this was a hardened bar... sure was tough to machine!!!

and fitted on the press...

it is a 48.8mm dia this alows for 18 gauge plate to be pressed giving a 50mm external measurement of the final sphere.... If I got my calcs right!!!??

Next make a die.... That should be interesting!! 

Does anyone know how to figure the disc size required for the job? ... If it can't be easily mathmaticallty worked out I'll just trial and error it!!!

Ralph.

Brass_Machine:
very cool. I don't know how to calculate the disc size required, so no help there from me. Sorry.

But on the other hand, what a great start you got going there!

Eric

Bernd:
I'd say trial and error method.  ;D

Cut the blank way bigger than the die. Form part. While in the die you can sribe a line around the formed part then trim. Hope that isn't to confusing the way I wrote it.  :-\

Bernd

Divided he ad:
Eric, You have no idea how big the smile was when it all worked to plan  :thumbup:  ;D

Bernd.... Isn't that the Heath Robinson aproach?!  I was thinking of ever decreasing discs until I find the size that will do it perfectly.... Just thinking about it i could have made it with a small shoulder on it so that a flat rim was left for soldering.... Oh well I'll figure something out ;)

A few sacrificial drinks cans will bite the bullet first.... there's no way I'm wasting the copper!!!

Just a thought as I sit here writhing this... A drink can whth a series of scribed circles on it at set intervals and see which one is closest.... then work the fine settings out from that.... That'll do for a start...

I started to write this 10 min's ago... A short burst of sleep and all hell breaks loose in the semi dormant brain!!!  :D

I'll post my efforts on a die hopefully next week.

Ralph.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version