Author Topic: Co-axial indicator?  (Read 5420 times)

Allthumbz

Co-axial indicator?
« on: November 13, 2010, 06:10:25 PM »
How is a co-axial indicator used on a lathe?

Thanks.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
Re: Co-axial indicator?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 06:37:36 PM »
They are mainly used on a mill to swipe in a bore or OD. The only thing I can think of on a lathe would be to check the tail stock alignment? But I've never done it.
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 02:36:46 AM »
The one I've got came supplied with a pointed stylus that you can locate in a centre pop, I guess you can hold the indicator in your tail stop locate the stylus in a centre popped bit of work held in the four jaw, then move the jaws so that the indicator show that the pop is running true, so you can machine a hole accurate positioned on the pop.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline kwackers

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 09:15:39 AM »
I'd assume you centre a piece of bar in the chuck (or take a skim off to get it perfect), fit the co-ax indicator in the tailstock and adjust for minimum wobble?

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 10:14:02 AM »
I'd assume you centre a piece of bar in the chuck (or take a skim off to get it perfect), fit the co-ax indicator in the tailstock and adjust for minimum wobble?

Actually, the rotating part of the coax has to be in the chuck with its probe rotating around the tail stock ram (or a round reference (centre) in the tail stock). It could also be used to zero-in a drill or ream mounted on the tool post.

One thing I've over looked in my MkI design was a spring to allow it to operate horizontally (ATM it relies on gravity).

Bill
Bill

Offline kwackers

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 10:17:43 AM »
Actually, the rotating part of the coax has to be in the chuck with its probe rotating around the tail stock ram (or a round reference (centre) in the tail stock). It could also be used to zero-in a drill or ream mounted on the tool post.

One thing I've over looked in my MkI design was a spring to allow it to operate horizontally (ATM it relies on gravity).

Bill
Ah yes...

I did consider the spring thing on your design, I figured it might be possible to have another bearing on the far side with a spring loaded grub screw, would that work?

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 10:44:57 AM »
I did consider the spring thing on your design, I figured it might be possible to have another bearing on the far side with a spring loaded grub screw, would that work?

Ah Yes, good idea :) And, it would pre-load the axial bearing solving any off-centre wobble (as suggested by Richard)
Bill