Author Topic: Woodruff Cutters  (Read 4376 times)

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
Woodruff Cutters
« on: November 09, 2010, 12:31:12 PM »
This will most probably appeal more to the UK contingent.

I have just taken delivery of a set of 10 Soba (made in India) cutters, being sold by Chronos.

On closer examination, they seem to be very well made, and I certainly feel, well worth the 30 squid I paid for them.

Not only can these be used for cutting half moon woodruff slots but also full length slots in shafts, and also, used in conjunction with a normal end mill or slot drill, can be used to cut t-slots as well., as long as you don't penetrate too far down.

I can see a few bits of tooling being made that I couldn't do before with any ease.

Bogs
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Rob.Wilson

Re: Woodruff Cutters
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 12:33:08 PM »
Added to the Xmas list  :thumbup:

Rob

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 03:09:55 PM »
Very nice and a good price too... :thumbup:

Might ask for a set from Santa.... :D
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline cidrontmg

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 07:21:17 PM »
I´ve used Woodruff cutters quite a lot, and only once for their actual intended purpose (cutting a half moon key slot to an axle). They´re very handy for "ornamental" work. You can do the same things with a boring bar, but it´s somehow far more reassuring with a Woodruff cutter, than listening to the thunk, thunk, thunk of a boring bar, and imagining how the mill gears will take that... That set will certainly find its way here. They all seem to have a 1/2" shank. They could be held in a 13 mm ER25 collet, but the price has leeway for a "dedicated" 1/2" collet...
Thanks Bogs.
 :wave:
Olli
Penafiel
Portugal

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 12:18:17 AM »
Cid,

I have bought the odd woodruff cutter over the years, and like yourself have found all sorts of uses for them. Normally they are a rather expensive tool, at this price, and what looks to be good quality, these are a real bargain.

And yes, they are all 1/2" shank.

Bogs
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175