Author Topic: The mill head moved !!  (Read 3976 times)

Offline picclock

The mill head moved !!
« on: October 26, 2010, 11:20:40 AM »
Hi
I've got a Warco WM14 mill, (a basic X2 clone) which suffered a slight mishap today  :doh:. Whilst milling a piece of steel the mill snagged (pushed it a bit hard  :bugeye:) and the mill head moved.

Upon inspection the spindle/motor assembly has rotated slightly. From the outer casing it looks as though its moved about 3mm, so its no longer parallel with the column.

I've never had this apart before, but from the assembly drawings it looks as though this is fitted to the vertical column slide with 4 bolts and it doesn't look like there's an adjustment, short of strip it down, align it by eye and retighten.

There must be a better way.

Any help much appreciated.

picclock

Engaged in the art of turning large pieces of useful material into ever smaller pieces of (s)crap. (Ferndown, Dorset)

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: The mill head moved !!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 11:28:41 AM »
Sorry to hear that.

Tim has some good info in his CNC CONVERSION THREAD about aligning the head of the X2.

Take pictures, start a thread and let us know how it goes (I have to do it as well!).

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 01:04:53 PM »
Hi Picclock

I have a WM16, which is like yours. Not sure what your problem is, but...

Mine has a tilting head, which I don't use 'cos it's more trouble that it's worth.

You haven't just knocked the rotatey bit out of kilter ?

Look up behind the spindle, mine has ( 3 ? ) hex bolts holding it.

You're not alone, done it with mine ..  clumsy oaf  :hammer:

Dave BC
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline picclock

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 01:09:46 PM »
It appears things are not quite as I thought   :scratch:. In fact my WM14 mill is looking less like an X2 clone from many aspects.

The column is fixed to the base with 4 large hex bolts, and is fixed.

The mill head is designed to swivel, and the reason for the tilt can be seen from the picture with the two bolts taken from underneath the head. The angle locking bolt is lose, you can see the gap between the nut/washer. More to the point, its easy to get at and readjust.

When I first bought the mill I checked it for column/spindle accuracy and did various measurements to ensure that the alignment was good. I've never had a reason to change it, and as in normal use the back of it is fairly inaccesible, I just took someones word for it that it was an X2 clone.

I just feel like I've had a lucky escape ! :bow:

picclock

(how do you post so that you can write text between the pictures ?)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 01:18:46 PM by picclock »
Engaged in the art of turning large pieces of useful material into ever smaller pieces of (s)crap. (Ferndown, Dorset)

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 02:55:30 PM »

Read this POST. Should explain everything for you.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

tumutbound

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 03:48:27 PM »

It depends if the photos are posted as part of the message (inline) or as attachments.

Inline pictures are inserted using the icon. Doing it this way, you specify the URL where the image is stored and it's inserted into the message as a link. The size of the image will be the same as pointed to by the link - no resizing.

If you select to add an attachment via the Additional Options menu, then you upload the images to the Madmodder server and thumbnails are automatically created. Doing itthis way, you can't have text between the images.